2010 Security Suites: The Best and Worst

kamui

I agree the security suites are bloatware and put their nasty tentacles throughout the operating system. I wouldn't use one even if it was free, now that I think about it I wouldn't use one if they paid me.

Nearly every computer I've worked on to remove malware/viruses were infected via the browser which is the big open door to the nasties. Secure your browser like using Firefox with NoScript addon. Use a light weight and free antivirus. Disable auto play so if you have an infected external drive malicious code can't execute when you plug the drive into a USB.

Another free and easy way to protect a XP computer is to only use a limited user account for day to day use and switch to an admin account to make system changes.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your recommendations are for poeple with some knowledge about Windows PCs. In my experience 90% of the users have no idea how to secure a PC. For them IMHO it is better to have a security suite contantly running.

NEVERTHELESS, I have just erased my Norton Internet Securtiy trial from PC and substituted it with free Microsoft Securitiy Essentials. This program got very high rankings in recent reviews and it is a lot of less bloated.

I'll need a programs which scans my (torrent) downloads on the fly. :content:

Kamui,

Any specific reason you are still using bittorrent? I have always been a torrent fan and always skipped usent, simply because bittorrent is free (I am a cheapskate, I know!). I recently tried a premium usenet account to see if it would suit my needs, and I never looked back. The sheer variety of content on usenet is nothing short of AMAZING. :drool: It is really hard to contain myself. I just checked my counter and see that I have downloaded almost a terabyte worth of software, dvds, tv shows, cds and BD rips of all recent movies in the last two months. :help::shhh:

Before everyone starts feeling too much love for MS Security Essentials:

Microsoft Spynet

When you first install Microsoft Security Essentials you agree to become a part of this unfortunately named community of Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials users. Microsoft SpyNet helps Microsoft in differentiating a malware program from a legitimate program based on inputs automatically collected from the Microsoft SpyNet members.

There are two types of memberships basic and advanced. As a basic member -which is the default- your copy of Microsoft Security Essentials “sends basic information to Microsoft about software that Microsoft Security Essentials detects, including where the software came from, the actions that you apply or that Microsoft Security Essentials applies automatically, and whether the actions were successful. In some instances, personal information might unintentionally be sent to Microsoft. However, Microsoft will not use this information to identify you or to contact you.â€Â

An advanced member sends more information in addition to what is stated above and again “in some instances, personal information might unintentionally be sent to Microsoft.†Microsoft Security Essentials also collects standard computer information, which includes information about your computer software and hardware, such as your IP address, operating system, Web browser software, and version.â€Â

There is no option not to participate in the SpyNet community. Microsoft Security Essentials privacy policy confirms that “to continue using Microsoft Security Essentials, you will need to remain a member of this online community.â€Â

The mandatory enrolling of members in the SpyNet community makes many people to see red and seek ways to disable Microsoft SpyNet without losing the functionality of Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-block-microsoft-spynet-2009.html

This may be a silly question but...my laptop came with Windows Vista basic installed and has Windows defender.It also came with a Norton IS which I renewed at the end of the demo period.Should I run both security systems or switch off the Defender and just use the Norton...?

This may be a silly question but...my laptop came with Windows Vista basic installed and has Windows defender.It also came with a Norton IS which I renewed at the end of the demo period.Should I run both security systems or switch off the Defender and just use the Norton...?

Windows Defender isn't of much help. And it is not recommended have two security programs running.

On the other hand, the primary reason that I erased Norton was that it slowed down my three years old PC considerably. In the end the only game I have running on my PC, Anno 1404, stopped working, because of Norton ate up the PC resources.

Which means I am now much less euphoric about security suites. Now I have just Microsoft Essentials running.

I had a 5 year license (CA Trust) on a PC which I then replaced by a Kaspersky license I had for 3 PC's. On the 2 other PC's I had free AVG running.

Having worked 30 years in software I don't believe anything good can be free, therefore the Kaspersky, which comes cheap in Thailand: 1500 baht for 3 PC and 1100 renewal. It does a good job for sure.

This week I bought a HP 070d, an i7/860, 6GB ram and gtx260, noticed yesterday it has Norton IS version 16.7.2.11 60 days trial.

Norton IS 2010 comes in at 890 for 1 PC.

The i7/860 runs at 2-3%, got him work at 57% earlier today, have lots of apps running/windows open and always reacts blistering fast, don't see any suite slowing things down yet.

So undecided, Norton is quieter than Kaspersky, will wait two months, Kaspersky will come cheaper for 3 PC's, might switch to Kaspersky 2010 at 1780 baht for all 3 PC's

NEVERTHELESS, I have just erased my Norton Internet Securtiy trial from PC and substituted it with free Microsoft Securitiy Essentials. This program got very high rankings in recent reviews and it is a lot of less bloated.

Aaaah, I was going to send a few reviews in response to the earlier criticism of MSE, and god knows I'm no shill for Microsoft. But I see you did your research. Did you see the lifehacker piece?

Been running it on desktop and laptop, both 64-bit with Win7, hardly noticed it was there.

I personally don't like the suites because of the drain on your system. Essentially they become viruses themselves. But, YMMV.

NEVERTHELESS' date=' I have just erased my Norton Internet Securtiy trial from PC and substituted it with free Microsoft Securitiy Essentials. This program got very high rankings in recent reviews and it is a lot of less bloated.

Aaaah, I was going to send a few reviews in response to the earlier criticism of MSE, and god knows I'm no shill for Microsoft. But I see you did your research. Did you see the lifehacker piece?

Yep, Lifehacker is one of my favourite blogs.

Archived