2010 Security Suites: The Best and Worst

kamui

Recommended read for Windows users :content:

2010 Security Suites: The Best and Worst

08.24.09 Updated:10.22.09

We've reviewed nearly a dozen 2010 security suitesâ€â€find out which will keep you safe and which to avoid.

by Neil J. Rubenking

The 2010 "model year" for security suites got started early, with a couple of products already out in June. Panda Internet Security 2010 made a decent showing, but eScan Internet Security Suite for Home Users Version 10 isn't ready to provide serious competition for any of the better-known contenders in the U.S. market. Much the same is true of K7 TotalSecurity Version 10.0: It's popular in Japan, but doesn't live up to the standards set by other major products hereâ€â€at least it didn't bog down my test systems. Through the summer the suites kept rolling in, keeping me busy with all-out evaluations.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and BitDefender Total Security 2010 arrived almost simultaneously in August (although Kaspersky released its European version quite a bit earlier). Both offer powerful protection, but BitDefender has the edge in most areas, particularly antispam and parental control. But both suites did have a measurable impact on system performance in testing, possibly due to being crammed to the gills with bonus features that actually improve security.

View Performance Tests F-Secure Internet Security 2010 and Trend Micro Internet Security Pro (version 3) also came through the gate together. F-Secure updated its interface, improved its detection, and added explicit exploit protection to its firewall. Trend Micro changed little from its previous incarnation. I'll let Trend Micro get away with standing still this time, but I hope for some innovation in the next version of its suite.

The anti-malware scores for Norton Internet Security 2010 [color:red]blew away the competition[/color], and the software has shored up two notorious (if less important) traditional weak spots for Norton. Parental control now comes from the full-featured OnlineFamily. Norton, and the new spam filter component is quite accurate (a huge improvement). It remains our Editors' Choice, although one of the not-yet-released suites could still knock it off the pedestal.

Last year ZoneAlarm combined its ZoneAlarm suite with ForceField virtualization technology and threw in backup, system tune-up, and more to create a new product: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security. I was impressed enough to rate it Editors' Choice, shared with Norton's 2009 suite. I took a harder look at ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 2010 and found a few minor flaws. Nothing huge, and it offers some hot features like full-disk encryption, but I'm not ready to call it Editors' Choice again yet.

I was excited to learn about FortiClient Endpoint Security Standard Edition 4.1, a totally free full security suite from Fortinet, better known for its Enterprise products. Unfortunately, it's not truly freeâ€â€you pay in reduced security. In particular, its anti-malware scores were the lowest I've seen. And if you want direct tech support or anti-spam capabilities you pay extra.

There are still more suites coming, but not immediately. McAfee's 2010 suite has nominally been released but will still be collecting features for some months; I'll review it later, when it's feature-complete. And I'll review the remaining security suites as they come out, so keep watching PCMag.com to stay up to date.

[...]

Full text: PCmag.com

PS: At work I have switched to MAC and have just Little Snitch running, which informs me about network and internet traffic. Nothing else needed. Even Little Snitch isn't essantial neither, but very helpful to prevent cracked software to contact its maker.

At home I run a demo of Norton Internet Security

2010. It's doing great and it's essential if you use file sharing programs or install hacked software, which comes quite often with malware.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate security suites. They are usually bloat ware. One thing that works well, combined with other second rate crap. The article only lists paid solutions, why is that? As if there are no freeware alternatives.

I'll stick to MS security essentials, works fine for me. and it's free.

Here's a site, which has been around for years and one of it's functions is to regularly strenuously test security programs. If you look around there's lots of pages of info to be gleaned about the various testing procedures and results.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php#products-ratings

I find that if someone just has not experienced any problems with their free or paid security program, though it may have shown to have tested poorly, they'll defend and praise it...until the day some disaster finally strikes! :shocked:

I also wonder how the author of the OP's submission thoroughly test his recommendations (though most are good) and arrived at his conclusions?

I'll stick to MS security essentials' date=' works fine for me. and it's free.[/quote']

The MS essentials got really bad reviews. Because of it's many holes it is said to be the lest secure free security software.

Says who? I ticked in mse review and the first 10 reviews i tried were all moderately to very positive.

Archived