Taking her to the airport ..

gobbledonk

I've spent way too much time at Subarnapoom this past couple of months - hate the place, coming or going - and I'm still stunned by the number of guys who take their GFE to the airport. I get the GFE thing, whatever the pitfalls, but the airport is a shitty enough place to be without knowing you are going to have to farewell someone.

I only made the mistake of taking her to the airport once, and I've learnt my lesson. Laughed when one of the PP girls wanted to come to the airport - I had to explain that sitting around in a glorified bus shelter might not be the exotic experience she craved. I can only imagine what it was like in the old days - no aircon and plenty of tin on the roof, no doubt.

Subarnapoom has a few shops and eateries downstairs, but its hardly Terminal 3 at Changi. I guess the girls get the last of the baht and the chance to flash a smile at new arrivals, but I cant see whats in it for the punters. I guess Valentine's Day hasnt worked its charms on everyone.

Yep - one of the ancient Nana Hotel drivers told me that they are getting a lot more from Brissie now and several of the girls seem to grasp that Australian cities aren't limited to 'Sydney' and 'Melbourne'. Geography isnt their strong suite, and its a big plus when you dont have to break down the syllables in a two syllable word.

BKK has always been a natural destination for Aussies, but I'm surprised by how young a lot of the guys are and how quickly they seem to pair up with their GFE. Until the BGs start rolling their own fags and projectile-vomiting through their nostrils, they wont be a patch on our homegrown lovelies ....

Yeah, the "getting those last few hundred/thousand baht out of the wallet" is certainly part of it...but there's a larger, general emotional manipulation factor going on in the girls' minds. They feel they're kind of "putting their mark on you" (and ensuring future sponsorship, or at least return business) by taking you to/meeting you at the airport.

And make no mistake: it is all business. For all their tears at the big farewell, when they discuss these airport trips with each other they are very businesslike and matter-of-fact, and have standard trade lingo to refer to the acts: ส่งลูà¸Âค้า (song luuk kha or "see a customer off") for taking you to the airport, and รับลูà¸Âค้า ("receive a customer") for meeting you when you arrive.

:yeahthat: Your post should be required reading for all punters considering a visit to Thailand.

That said, I've done the airport thing once and even my newbie ass knew it was nothing more than business. One would have to be pretty delusional to think otherwise, but I guess the illusion is what we're paying for in the first place, so why not take it all the way to the airport? :)

Archived