RIP Frank Visakay

Ckrisg

Just read on Stickman that Frank Visakay passed away. Don't know if many of you knew him but he published lots of stories on Sticks site. I met him a few years ago in Phuket and swapped emails for a while and Frank sent me a signed copy of his book Eveything but Die. A nice guy R.I.P

http://www.phuketgazette.net/dailynews/index.asp?id=8687

Frank Visakay dies in Phuket, age 71

PHUKET: Long-term Phuket expat Frank Visakay of the USA died in his rented home in Rawai today of apparent heart failure. He was 71.

Neighbors discovered his body in his home on Soi Pattana after becoming concerned because he had not left the house for a few days.

Friends close to Mr Visakay said he had been suffering from a rare respiratory disease called pulmonary fibrosis for five years and that he was resigned to and well-prepared for his passing.

A native of New Jersey, Mr Visakay was a successful restaurateur in New York City before retiring to Phuket in 1998.

He was a regular fixture at literary gatherings on the island and published several books while living in Phuket, including his memoirs in a 2008 book entitled Jasmine Fever, Confessions of a Jaded Expat...

(Picture in article).

Thanks for the info, but 71 is still young.

At least he spent the final days in a place he wanted to be.

I recall an old Irishman, who usually frequents the Downunder bar on his travels to the LOS (these days he spends more time in the Philippines). He would work hard for 3-4 months, then travel to Asia for rest and relaxation. He would often quote, "I'd rather they drag me out of a sleazy hotel, from under a 20 year age Thai girl then to age a slow death in some English rest home".

• 2 weeks later...

RIP buddie.

The 'good old folk' always die young.

Tis a little sad as these 'characters ' make the world we live in.Pause to think....their words,their actions and lives have paved the path we walk today

I have paused to say 'thanks' - as the info I have seen on the Web has resulted in my initial visit to LOS ( 1990 ) and now 20 years on and so many trips,I enjoy my time in LOS.

Cheers you 'buddies',

Kiwi.

Archived