Laser Dentistry - Anyone Tried It?

MooNoi

I noticed that the dentist up the street from me is now offering laser dentistry.

After a bit of Googling, it seems that fillings, root canals etc can quite often be done with laser now instead of drilling and the reduction in pain is quite a lot compared to conventional methods.

Anyone here tried laser dentistry?

Thoughts? :dunno:

Are we talking Oz or Thailand (not called the Land of Smiles for nothin')?

If Oz, I would put more trust in their physicians than the ones in the US. Maybe times have changed, but I remember when it was impossible for a US doctor to get a work visa for Australia. They had too many damned educated people.

Unfortunately, they didn't export them. :cover:

Piggy - my kids have had it done in Bangkok, was good.

Virgin - US Dentists are far better trained on the most part than Aussie ones.

A USA certified dentist can even apply to be a doctor in Australia!

This comes from my Aussie dentist who was USA trained, given she immigrated to Australia. Who is also a pretty stunning red head!

She promises near painless treatments and delivers!

I asker her how come she was so good at not causing pain.

"I couldn't afford university so got a state grant. at the end of my time I had to work for the state as a dentist for 2 years, and guess where? Maximum security prison! For some reason dentistry was supplied as part of the services, so the one thing they often left with was good teeth. And when I was doing root canal on a 400 lb rapist and murdered, I learned to do a very good job"

When she came to Australia, because Dentists are trained longer in most of USA, and also are part of the medical stream, they can get cross certified, after as usual sitting exams etc.

Aussie Dentists share sometimes 1 or 2 years with general medical students, then branch off into teeth only. Their body knowledge etc is far less than USA.

4 years pre-dental, and then dental school. My 14 year old thai step daughter has wanted to be a dentist for as long as I've know her, the last 5 years. She starts high school next year and goes into an advanced bio sciences curriculum. Hopefully, she will continue getting straight "A's." Then, get a scholarship to a college that has a dental school (like the University of Kansas City) and go to that dental school. I'll let you know how it went in 12 years.

Archived