Ominous warnings re the Asian bubble

gobbledonk

I know - plenty of tabloid sales in predicting the end of the world - but there was a reference to this being 'bigger than the GFC' on one of our local 'infotainment' programs this morning. The reason I mention it is that the commentator wasnt one of the usual talking heads, but someone who might actually know what he is looking at when he opens 'The Financial Review'.

Even if we dismiss it as a slow news day, I dont think anyone on this board would be happy if China's economic growth slumped, much less imploded.

I cant remember how many of you were in Thailand during the cash crisis, but those were reportedly very grim times in many SE Asian countries, and China didnt hold as many of our balls in her silk-gloved hand as she does now.

Gobble, the eternal optimist

more baht for pound?

If China slows' date=' less Aussie dollar to the baht :susel: [/quote']

I think that will be the least of our problems. Alarm bells are already ringing about what would happen if China starts calling in its worldwide 'bar tab'. Add the potential for massive unrest among a huge population of factory workers and their families - real doomsday stuff.

If I knew what 'soma' referred to, I might be able to comment on your reply, bkktraveler :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to look up 'soma'. :hmmm:

<< Soma (Sanskrit सोम sóma), or Haoma (Avestan), from Proto-Indo-Iranian *sauma-, was a ritual drink of importance among the early Indo-Iranians, and the subsequent Vedic and greater Persian cultures. It is frequently mentioned in the Rigveda, whose Soma Mandala contains 114 hymns, many praising its energizing qualities. In the Avesta, Haoma has the entire Yašt 20 and Yasna 9-11 dedicated to it.

The RigVeda calls the plant, Soma the "Creator of the Gods" (RV 9.42[1]) and gives Soma precedence above Indra and the other Gods calling Soma "a God for Gods" (RV 9.42).

It is described as prepared by extracting juice from the stalks of a certain plant. In both Vedic and Zoroastrian tradition, the name of the drink and the plant are the same, and also personified as a divinity, the three forming a religious or mythological unity.

There has been much speculation concerning what is most likely to have been the identity of the original plant. There is no solid consensus on the question, although most Western experts outside the Vedic and Avestan religious traditions now seem to favour a species of Ephedra, perhaps Ephedra sinica. >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma

Flash, I saw the same reference, but it didnt make a lot of sense. I can only assume that he means its like Peyote and we wont actually notice the fact that the economy is going down the tubes. They seem to have noticed it in Ireland - saw another program last night where they are actively recruiting Irish emigrants to come to Oz and help rebuild Queensland. Employers are bleating about the 'skills shortage' again - the same employers who dont want to train apprentices or retain them when they start to cost real money in wage terms.

Archived