NBA pros pay for Coach's cancer surgery

Steve

Rather than start a new thread. This is a feel good story of a NY Yankees (I hate that team by the way) player who bought the city's schools bats when aluminum bats were banned and budget crunches denied many schools the ability to buy the wooden bats.

Classy move by the player.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Yankees-center-fielder-plunks-down-huge-donation?urn=highschool-wp1604

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'll make this the athlete/entertainer does good thread.

Okay, for your pervs, no its not some guy hitting on an underage girl!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Bears-rookie-J-T-Thomas-takes-young-lady-to-eig?urn=nfl-wp2127

Bears rookie J.T. Thomas takes young lady to eighth-grade danceJ.T. Thomas(notes) was drafted in the sixth round by the Chicago Bears, but the lockout leaves him without much to do right now. The athletic, hard-hitting linebacker out of West Virginia University is still in Morgantown, keeping in shape and spending time with his family.

Every day, Thomas helps his 7-year-old brother Jared get home from school. Riding the same bus as Jared is an eighth-grade girl named Joslyn Levell, who happened to grow up in Chicago as a Bears fan and now lives in Morgantown. Joslyn has spina bifida and uses a wheelchair.

With assists from the bus driver and J.T.'s stepmother, Thomas got on the bus one day to say hello to Joslyn. They hit it off immediately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another athlete doing good story...

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1237085

The event - a foul-shooting contest for top academic students at Compton High School in Los Angeles - was created with a simple premise: Organizers wanted to show the kids at Compton how to create community spirit with college scholarship money as the incentive.

The kids in Compton are more than alright.

Three months after winning the $40,000 top prize, Allan Guei donated all of his winnings to the seven other finalists.

Guei, a star player on the basketball team who is headed to Cal-State Northridge on a full scholarship, said he felt the others could use the college cash more than he could. He wanted to give his classmates a chance to make their academic dreams come true, too.

"I've already been blessed so much and I know we're living with a bad economy, so I know this money can really help my classmates," he said in a release from the school. "It was the right decision."

Good to see Compton getting known for something other than gang violence. I've been there many times. There are actually some very nice pockets of single family homes and nice well kept neighborhoods. The problem is the parks and social areas (markets, parks, etc.) where the masses congregate. Anything can still happen in those areas.

• 4 weeks later...

Another athlete done good feel good story. The blue book is only 17k and change? Wow.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Steelers-coach-sells-Mercedes-to-team-cafeteria-?urn=nfl-wp4503

Steelers coach sells Mercedes to team cafeteria worker for $20

A cook at the Pittsburgh Steelers team complex is driving around in a red Mercedes convertible thanks to an unexpected and generous deal from the franchise's former secondary coach.

On his final day in Pittsburgh before taking over as defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals, Ray Horton gave his 1999 Mercedes SL500 to cafeteria worker Maurice Matthews.

The cook had always kidded around with Horton, telling him he was coaching his position and asking when he'd be allowed to drive his sports car. Horton would jokingly reply, "you can't afford the gas in it."

But on his final day in Pittsburgh, Horton approached Matthews to say goodbye and asked if he could borrow whatever money he had in his pocket. When Matthews handed over a twenty, Horton said "sold for $20!" and handed him the keys to his car.

"Ray said, 'Hey, you always liked the car, you're a good dude, I know you'll take care of it," Matthews told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "It's yours."

The next day he drove Horton to the airport and received all the paperwork to take ownership of the car. With 64,000 miles on it, Matthews ended up paying $20 for a vehicle that carries a Kelly Blue Book value of $17,735.

"It's just taking care of guys who took care of you," Horton told the Arizona Cardinals team blog.

The Cardinals got a good man. And cafeteria workers in Tempe just found their new favorite customer.

Another athlete done good feel good story. The blue book is only 17k and change? Wow.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Steelers-coach-sells-Mercedes-to-team-cafeteria-?urn=nfl-wp4503

Steelers coach sells Mercedes to team cafeteria worker for $20

A cook at the Pittsburgh Steelers team complex is driving around in a red Mercedes convertible thanks to an unexpected and generous deal from the franchise's former secondary coach.

On his final day in Pittsburgh before taking over as defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals, Ray Horton gave his 1999 Mercedes SL500 to cafeteria worker Maurice Matthews.

The cook had always kidded around with Horton, telling him he was coaching his position and asking when he'd be allowed to drive his sports car. Horton would jokingly reply, "you can't afford the gas in it."

But on his final day in Pittsburgh, Horton approached Matthews to say goodbye and asked if he could borrow whatever money he had in his pocket. When Matthews handed over a twenty, Horton said "sold for $20!" and handed him the keys to his car.

"Ray said, 'Hey, you always liked the car, you're a good dude, I know you'll take care of it," Matthews told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "It's yours."

The next day he drove Horton to the airport and received all the paperwork to take ownership of the car. With 64,000 miles on it, Matthews ended up paying $20 for a vehicle that carries a Kelly Blue Book value of $17,735.

"It's just taking care of guys who took care of you," Horton told the Arizona Cardinals team blog.

The Cardinals got a good man. And cafeteria workers in Tempe just found their new favorite customer.

one for you steve.

just been watching the testimonial games for van der sar in amsterdam.

when edwin's wife was diagnosed with her brain tumour united told him to stay away from manchester for as long as he needed to care for his kids and support his wifes recovery.

this in the middle of the football season but they knew family was more important.

saw his wife last night and she is certainly a looker.....

and not forgetting gary nev who gave all the proceeds of his testimonial to charities close to his heart.

i know many sportsmen/women are well paid these days but good to see some are prepared to admit that they have vast amounts of cash and are prepared to not take it and do something for a cause.

niall quinn at sunderland comes to mind as another sportsman who gave his proceeds to charity.

Archived