NBA pros pay for Coach's cancer surgery

Steve

Finally a good story about pro athletes. A few LA Clippers players chip and pay for their former coachs cancer surgery. It was life threatening. It was prostate cancer.

The bad guy in all this is Donald Sterling the scrooge owner who wouldn't help. The cost was 'only' 70k. I could halfway understand it if was a few million but 70k is nothing to these millionaire owners. I've always disliked Sterling. He's a self promoting, egotistical ass. He spends the least on any owner on his team. Usually has the lowest payrolll in the NBA. Doesn't rspect the sport or his own team to try and field a side that could win anything.

Standing ovation to the players. They didn't want or seek publicity for it either.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Players-chip-in-to-save-coach-8217-s-life-after?urn=nba-wp184

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that a lot of pro athletes give of themselves and their money to worthwhile causes. We just don't often hear about it. For instance, I just learned a few months ago that Charles Woodson donated a million $ (maybe more) to a university's children's hospital. (He has actually set up a foundation for the project.) Unfortunately, for every one of those guys, there's probably at least one who gets the "idiot" award for the week.

I do, however, take issue with the blogger's "sell out" crowds. I might be wrong, but I'd guess that the only sell-outs for Clippers games are when they're playing the Lakers, Celtics, or Heat. 5555555555555

And, yeah, Scrooge Sterling throws nickles around like they're manhole covers.

HH

Ichiro donates 100 million yen to relief efforts in Japan

Ichiro Suzuki still hasn't offered any public comment about the ongoing crisis in Japan, but the message he sent on Friday will certainly go a lot further than any press conference remarks or a prepared statement of concern ever would.

The Seattle Mariners great will donate 100 million yen to the relief efforts stemming from last week's earthquake and tsunami. Using today's conversion rate, the amount equates to about $1.23 million — or roughly 7 percent of the $18 million he'll make playing baseball in Seattle this year.

In usual Ichiro fashion, he hasn't said anything about his impressive support with his checkbook and he likely won't. Helping out his homeland in a time of great need seems to be enough for the right fielder — as it was last month, when he quietly donated 10 million yen to relief efforts following the volcano eruption in the Miyazaki Prefecture.

His gesture reminds me of the 2001-02 NBA season, when Michael Jordan donated his entire $1 million salary to September 11 efforts. And just like in that great time of need, Ichiro isn't alone in his generosity. The Mariners also announced on Friday that they'll be matching any front office or fan donations made over the regular-season's first game homestand at Safeco Field with a minimum of $100,000 guaranteed. The San Francisco Giants also announced their plans to offer aid earlier this week.

Link

The Mariners also announced on Friday that they'll be matching any front office or fan donations made over the regular-season's first game homestand at Safeco Field with a minimum of $100,000 guaranteed. The San Francisco Giants also announced their plans to offer aid earlier this week.

Link

Fans of the LA Dodgers have offered up Frank and Jamie McCourt.

HH

Archived