THE election result thread

kamui

The record voter turnout in Thailand is 74%. The "experts" figured there was much more interest this time, since Yingluck was a novelty. But then look at the exit polls ... they were way off too. They had PT winning far more seats and the Dems far fewer. So much for experts.

Surprisingly, Abhisit immediately resigned, saying he accepted the blame for the loss. This has sort of shocked the party members, since they didn't really believe he'd do it. Odds are they will reelect him, since nobody else wants to do it and take the blame for whatever else may go wrong.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question is does he want the job or is he wise man and on the first flight out of the country.

Strangely a good Thai friend of mine is still depressed and somber. His father was a minister in the TRT administration, and his family is close to Takky. We always have interesting discussions as with him I can discuss any subject and he respects others views. He always defends Takky and is strongly anti military. So I went to see him today to congratulate him, but he was still in a somber mood .....

Abhisit resigned as Party Leader, I would be very surprised if quits completly and does not become a member in the new parliment.

I suspect he will nominated and will end up accepting the party leader (who becomes the leader of the opposition) again.

After all, who else is there?

TH

Abhisit called up Yingluck to congratulate her and said he hoped she'd keep her campaign promises. She called her brother and asked what she should do. He told her to say thank you.

Abhisit has already said he will be a member of the opposition.

City's Muslims turn out in force

Bangkok Muslim voters turned out in force for the election, with polling booths in mainly Muslim areas packed from the early hours.

Somsri Salaemad, 47, chairwoman of the Nakphasit election unit in Suan Luang sub-district (Constituency 21), said a long queue had formed even before the polling station opened at 8am.

People streamed in to vote in the morning for fear that it might rain in the afternoon.

Mrs Somsri's station had about 750 voters, with nine officials directing the crowd.

Staff at polling units were paid 900 baht for the job, which required them to undergo one day's training, prepare the polling stations, oversee voting, and keep an eye on vote counting.

"People seemed eager and enthusiastic to cast their votes. Parties sent representatives to observe polling and vote counting," Mrs Somsri, who is also a teacher, said.

Sawad Muenpaenwaree, 69, said Muslim voters usually supported the Democrats but they now questioned whether the party was up to the job.

"Last election, I voted for one Democrat [Nattaya Benjasiriwan] and two Thai Rak Thai candidates.

"This time I voted for Pheu Thai, in both the constituency and on the party list," said Mr Sawad, who lives in Saphan Sung area (Constituency 22).

A Muslim candidate was not necessarily the first choice for Muslim voters, as they would rather look at someone's ability.

"Vote buying is rampant everywhere. I don't think good Muslims would dare to sell their votes, as Allah will see if you take a bribe or not," he said.

[color:red]He admired Democrat leader Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, but whenever he saw other veteran Democrats, he and his friends felt discouraged.[/color]

[color:red]"We look at their policies. We consider each government's performance. We do not blindly cling to our favourite party," he said.[/color]

However, a staunch supporter of the Democrats, and also a Muslim resident of Bangkok Noi, predicted many urban Muslims would continue to support the Democrat Party.

Others might vote for the Matubhum Party which has a Muslim - former army chief Sonthi Boonyaratkalin - as its leader, he said.

[color:red]"We will not vote for a party which has divided society and set the capital alight," said the 50-year-old Muslim activist, referring to Pheu Thai.[/color]

A Muslim businessman who asked not to be named said he doubted whether Matubhum would attract many votes on the party list as senior Muslim leaders in the capital doubted Gen Sonthi's credibility and sincerity.

"In the past he did not make friends with the Muslim community, but since late last year he has cleaned up the local cemetery and invited some people to ceremonies," he said.

About 500,000 Muslims live in Bangkok.

Bangkok Post

Polling booths prove rich hunting ground for police :content:

Some voters with criminal records who turned out yesterday ended up in police custody.

Police officials lying in wait at poll stations wrapped up their day at the end of balloting having apprehended 240 criminal suspects who showed to exercise their voting rights.

National police chief Wichean Potephosree said the big round-up was part of his policy to use the occasion to arrest suspects on the police wanted list.

These suspects were wanted on arrest warrants and police knew which constituencies they lived in.

Instead of searching their houses, investigators simply waited at polling stations yesterday.

However, police in Phak Hai district of Ayutthaya found arresting suspect Amnat Ritkrai a bit more difficult, as he ran away when he noticed the officers.

Mr Amnat, a known drug addict who was facing a robbery charge, was eventually nabbed one kilometre away from the balloting station.

He also broke an election law yesterday as he took a ballot paper outside the polling station.

Other criminal suspects included a 20-year-old man who was caught at a polling booth in Ranong's Muang district, police said. He was wanted on a charge of raping a minor six years ago.

Police waited until he dropped his ballots into two boxes before arresting him. He did not resist the arrest, but said he did not remember committing the crime he is accused of, as he was only 14 years old at the time. :rolleyes:

Eleven voters who destroyed ballots were also arrested in constituencies in Bangkok, Nakhon Ratchasima, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Maha Sarakham, Chiang Mai, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani and Chumphon, said Pol Gen Wichean.

Another 47 were arrested for distributing alcohol during the election period.

Police in Samut Prakan's Muang district also caught Somnuek Sangern, 52, after she removed two election campaign posters, made of plastic, in order to roof her house.

Ms Somnuek said she intended to take them after the election finished, but did not know it was against the law.

BP

Chuwit basks in 4-seat glory

Chuwit Kamolvisit, leader of the Rak Thailand Party, yesterday said winning three to five seats could be considered a "landslide" for his newly established party.

Mr Chuwit was poised to win four seats at press time last night.

He attributed his election "victory" to the ability to appeal to voters.

"My target was two seats. This is almost 100% more than I hoped for. My theory really worked and it has saved me some campaign costs," he said.

Mr Chuwit said the election outcome showed that people wanted to see him in action in the opposition ranks.

The former massage parlour tycoon made it clear from the start of the poll campaign that he would work in the opposition camp.

BP

Wow! Only 24 hours have passed since the exit polls indicated a PT victory and the 'Clone' managed to assemble a 5 party coalition government including several parties that have been part of the Abhisit government.

Honi soit qui mal y pense! Amazing Thailand once again! :p

Guess the 1 Million + tablets are also already shipped to the north and north east.

I can't remember that the board has ever been as unified on a topic as concerning PT and Thaksin.I guess Thaksin wouldn't get 5% on Thai 360 but still 50+% of Thais thinking differently. Another example TIT.

Archived