Finally reported: Kasit off to Germany to retrieve royal jet

Flashermac

Bangkok Pundit has an article explaining the legal issues on the seizure it self. There is an appeal pending but without a stay in place, which it does not appear there is one, so liquidator could seize the plane. So it will come down to who owns the plane.

Bangkok Pundit

The Don Muang tollway case is very complicated and the role of Walter Bau (WB,) the now bankrupt German contractor, is even more complicated. It seems they sold their shares in the joint venture just before all the other shareholders agreed in 2007 to drop the arbitration in return for the tollway increase. Supposedly, the terms of the sale (to the chairmen of the Don Muang Tollway Company) included WB dropping the compensation claim as well, but apparently they reneged on that part of the deal.

I do love the posts here about how bad Thailand is about paying up on these sorts of highly complex contractual disputes, as if that is something unique in the business world. Nobody in the world is going to pay a multi million dollar claim they disagree with unless they are absolutely made to. Seizing the jet was a brilliant ploy, which apparently as been used before against some Middle Eastern royalty.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two arbitration courts ruled in the favor of the Walter Bau, so I just trust that their claim is valid.

In several German articles it has been stated that the airplane registration papers clearly disclose the Thai government as being the owner of the airplane.

Maybe Thailand should start to accept that different countries have different laws and the typical Thai way can't be applied everywhere.

Two arbitration courts ruled in the favor of the Walter Bau, so I just trust that their claim is valid.

In several German articles it has been stated that the airplane registration papers clearly disclose the Thai government as being the owner of the airplane.

Maybe Thailand should start to accept that different countries have different laws and the typical Thai way can't be applied everywhere.

Now it seems that the Thai government is trying the Thai way of solving a problem: they claim that the airplane was presented as a gift to the crown prince in 2008 - or was it 2007. The news seem to differ about the date. I guess the Thai govnerment is still working on the papers...

:content:

BANGKOK - Thailand will table more documents in a German court to prove ownership of the impounded Boeing 737, to show it does not belong to the government, the Foreign Ministry said yesterday.

The Office of General Attorney wil submit additional documents today following the court's request for more evidence to prove ownership of the aircraft, the ministry's deputy spokesman Jesda Katavetin said.

Judge Christoph Fellner said earlier the court was not fully convinced the plane was HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn's personal property, as asserted by the lawyer for Thailand.

The Royal Thai Air Force said earlier it presented the jet aircraft to HRH the Crown Prince in 2007 for his personal use.

Jesda said the court would spend one or two days to consider the new set of documents and evidence submitted by the Thai authorities before ruling on an injunction on the plane.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20110718-289692.html

Nice try but I can't see German authorities buying into this crap.

Next time if I have an accident with my car in Thailand, I will do a runner. If they find me I will just tell the police that it isn't my car because I gave it to my ex-Thai GF 2 years ago as a birthday present. ;)

Who cares about registration papers anyway.?! :dunno: TIT at its best.

Thai prince's Mercedes 'under guard in Germany'Maha Vajiralongkorn, heir to the throne, has "hidden" his Mercedes SLK sportscar in a private parking space of a luxury Munich hotel in southern Germany where it is being watched over by 10 bodyguards, the paper said.

The 58-year-old, currently spending his time picking strawberries in the area, has also had the car's Thai number plates removed and replaced with diplomatic ones, the paper added, without saying where it got the information.

Last Tuesday, German officials sealed a Boeing 737 often flown by the Thai prince and banned it from taking off, Munich Airport said, because of a long-running business dispute.

Thailand's crown prince has taken measures to prevent his Mercedes being impounded in Germany after his aircraft was seized at Munich airport last week, the Bild am Sonntag weekly said Sunday

The move prompted a visit by Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya on Friday to Germany where he met with foreign undersecretary Cornelia Pieper to discuss the matter, the German foreign ministry said.

Amid fears of worsening bilateral relations, the German government has said it regrets the incident but stresses that it is powerless to act, insisting it is a matter for the courts.

The aircraft, which the prince often pilots himself, was seized on a court order following a request from the receivers of a bankrupt German construction firm, which said Thailand owes it more than 30 million euros ($42 million).

Thai prince's Mercedes 'under guard in Germany'Maha Vajiralongkorn, heir to the throne, has "hidden" his Mercedes SLK sportscar in a private parking space of a luxury Munich hotel in southern Germany where it is being watched over by 10 bodyguards, the paper said.

The 58-year-old, currently spending his time picking strawberries in the area, has also had the car's Thai number plates removed and replaced with diplomatic ones, the paper added, without saying where it got the information.

Last Tuesday, German officials sealed a Boeing 737 often flown by the Thai prince and banned it from taking off, Munich Airport said, because of a long-running business dispute.

Thailand's crown prince has taken measures to prevent his Mercedes being impounded in Germany after his aircraft was seized at Munich airport last week, the Bild am Sonntag weekly said Sunday

The move prompted a visit by Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya on Friday to Germany where he met with foreign undersecretary Cornelia Pieper to discuss the matter, the German foreign ministry said.

Amid fears of worsening bilateral relations, the German government has said it regrets the incident but stresses that it is powerless to act, insisting it is a matter for the courts.

The aircraft, which the prince often pilots himself, was seized on a court order following a request from the receivers of a bankrupt German construction firm, which said Thailand owes it more than 30 million euros ($42 million).

This is why a the Japanese lender is insisting on an arbitration clause in the loan documentation before it provides a single Yen of funding to extend the BTS. They won't say it directly, but its obvious they don't trust the Thai courts. If they get stiffed - a real risk here - they want an impartial international panel to decide the matter - and they want the ability to seize Thai assets overseas if that is what it takes to recover on their claims.

This is also why the Thai government has a policy of prohibiting government agencies from signing contracts with arbitration clauses without cabinet approval. When called on this, they stiffen up and cry foul, but its a phony cry. They realize that foreigners have good reason not to trust the Thai legal system to protect their rights, but they will never admit it.

Good for the Germans. Go for it.

<< The 58-year-old, currently spending his time picking strawberries in the area ... >>

WTF are these people smoking? He changed the robe of the Emerald Buddha to the rainy season attire the other day ... right here in Bangkok at the Grand Palace.

Archived