Photos From Daily Life In Thailand

think_too_mut

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I came here in the 1970s, the WERE NO FIREWORKS for Loy Krathong. Don't know why the hell that all started. The once quiet holiday for children and lovers now sounds more like a battlefield. :(

Come up to my place next year, you can hide under the kitchen table with the dog.

He's a Loy Kratong "bah humbug" Scrooge as well. :D

Come up to my place next year, you can hide under the kitchen table with the dog.

He's a Loy Kratong "bah humbug" Scrooge as well. :D

My Mrs took me to Loy Krathong by the Mae Nam Ping in Chiang Mai one year. The river looks quite spectacular, covered with krathongs as far as you can see as they float downstream. But the SOBs firing bottle rockets straight into the crowds took a lot of fun out of the night and we went home early. When she told her colleagues the next day, they ask what the police had done about it. She told them the truth - nothing! The cops turned their backs and pretended they didn't see it. :(

We never go out, the kids come to our house.

I spent it in Vientiane in 2001, I can't even remember any balloons let alone fireworks.

M-exLG took me down to the river with our krathong and we launched it into the mighty Mekong but even with the (paid) efforts of young swimmers to push it into the current it was a disastrous voyage.

Which probably explains a few things.... :confused:

Home made? Hard enough to get good Thai dishes in the US. Restaurants cut corners and tone everything down to what folks who have never been to Thailand think Thai food should taste like.

I have two great but small restaurants in walking distance of my house. Tourists would look at them and walk right by, but the cooks (one from Phitsanulok and one from Ubon) are fantastic.

Archived