Face

buddha

We often here talk about 'Face', a concept that can be interwoven into any 'Boy it sure is different in Thailand' tale as one of the major proponents of 'Why it is so different in Thailand explanation'.

I gotta say that I did experience the concept of 'Face' while living and working in Thailand, and was prepared to do so by lurking on this and other boards before I moved to Thailand.

Now my only real contact to Thailand is the internet and I am always seeing references to 'Face'. Perhaps my experiences there have opened my eyes in my own country and I see things here much differently than before I lived in the LOS.

'Face' is an integral part to life in the United States, probably where you are from also, it always will be and always has been present.

I had never considered this until after I left Thailand. When experiencing a show or lack of show of 'Face' in Thailand I was quick to look at the reasons why people did certain things. I don't mean to suggest that I am more aware than other people, it's just something I read about, acknowledged, and I began to look for it in my daily interactions with bosses, coworkers, and thais on the street.

I feel this is not really exclusive to Asian society as it is talked about online. The baseline quality for 'Face' is ego driven and among us all, everywhere, and notwithstanding. I think I just had different names for it.

We often here talk about 'Face', a concept that can be interwoven into any 'Boy it sure is different in Thailand' tale as one of the major proponents of 'Why it is so different in Thailand explanation'.

I gotta say that I did experience the concept of 'Face' while living and working in Thailand, and was prepared to do so by lurking on this and other boards before I moved to Thailand.

Now my only real contact to Thailand is the internet and I am always seeing references to 'Face'. Perhaps my experiences there have opened my eyes in my own country and I see things here much differently than before I lived in the LOS.

'Face' is an integral part to life in the United States, probably where you are from also, it always will be and always has been present.

I had never considered this until after I left Thailand. When experiencing a show or lack of show of 'Face' in Thailand I was quick to look at the reasons why people did certain things. I don't mean to suggest that I am more aware than other people, it's just something I read about, acknowledged, and I began to look for it in my daily interactions with bosses, coworkers, and thais on the street.

I feel this is not really exclusive to Asian society as it is talked about online. The baseline quality for 'Face' is ego driven and among us all, everywhere, and notwithstanding. I think I just had different names for it.

i understand 'face' a lot better then i did in the past.

coming from the west i knew how things worked in western cities but asia is different and while the asian people do have different views of 'face' it's still a learning curve for westerners.

even 3 months ago i lost face when i should have known better but sometimes the locals can lose face with their actions.

I think that it matters more in poorer societies, the truly poor value face because they have little else to lose and the more wealthy have a position to maintain in society.

When you slip on your arse in the West no one really cares, we can all relate to the problem.

I can relate an experience I had, in Vang Vieng.

When walking a toll bridge, the toll thief was engaged in animated conversation with MLG, our group stood and watched, passive. When the toll thief ripped the tickets up and threw them to the ground, I moved to protect MLG, but in an instant, Cutie 3's boyfriend had his hand on my arm and gently stopped me, I'd only moved about 5mm, my feet had yet to be engaged, and I'm sure no-one noticed that I was about to enter the fray. MLG finished with the toll thief and I became grateful to Cutie 3's boyfriend, for preventing me from losing face in the field of confrontation.

Archived