Thailand Is Being Westernized!

think_too_mut

Now you have lost the plot TTM Thaksin was the most Xenophobic anti-farang PM I have ever had the misfortune to have lived under

Unintentionaly, you have just confirmed what I am trying to say from the beginning: what westernization it is if Thaksin can be elected by landslide? And, like Cyborg, however they cut and destroy him, he regenerates. Stubborn traditional society would not let him vanish.

Once in power, he started abusing it. Another attribute of "do what you want because you can".

West educated guy, Abhisit, had to be installed by tanks, stood no chance of beilng elected.

And 16 coups in 50 years, what westernization is that?

Just now, when Thais are supoposed to be more westernized than in 1948, people coming out not to protest military takeover but to celebrate, pose and take pictures with tanks. Even bringing children to queue for their turn to be pictured with armed soldiers.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard red shirt taxi drivers ridicule Abhisit because he is too intelligent, too educated, and speaks English too well. They don't seem to trust educated people.

Can't say that about Takky. He went to the police academy, then to two virtually unknown universities in the US. Rumour has always been that he paid someone to write his doctoral thesis for him. From the way he speaks English, it wouldn't surprise me.

My take is that for all the talk about democracy, the red shirts really just want their hero back. They wouldn't care if he pulled it off by a coup.

bubi,

excellent observation there. a truly lost opportunity for the performer to please his key (future) audience :)

anyway a little lost face may also teach this super forward sexy teen to step back a bit or be even more direct next time if she is to score with us unpredictable farungs!

"Although not polite as you were definitely invited I understand . Everybody loosing face as it looks."

I think it is right obvious that thai is being westernized. If for no less of evidence of cell phone use. 100% a western creation. Now what house does not have one. I can name a ton more. I think your days at the Jap Emb give you some credibility but it all ended the day you left. I have been coming here for ten years, assigned here the last 3, and the changes are astounding in my view. Take again the advent of WiFi, Google, and FaceBook. 100% western. Cali USA tech. What lowly bar girl does not use them? Which one does not know the names?? That sir is a cultural shift that did not exist even five years ago.

I dont know what you consider "westernized" but having wifi and a face book account and using gMaps and search seem to define it to me.

I don't think that this is that easy.

- First, the visible changes Thailand is undergoing must not mean that it becomes more Westernized. The fault lines in the Thai society seem to be the result of internal changes and IMHO mostly not a result Western influences (neither 15 year old US girls nor European girls would show Wearth their tits, I think smirk.gif).

- Second the world wide use of Western tools of communication (mobile phones, internet) does not mean that the rules/ habits of communication are becoming Western style. I don't know about LOS, but the Japanese society is very much used to pick up Western technology and turn it into something Japanese, especially in the modes of communication.

In LOS the internet and mobile phone gave especially the rural masses (as well as the bar girls) the opportunity to be much better informed about everything (for example market prices for their produce or how to deal with clients twocents.gif ; or being much easier to manipulate as the Mr. T.s use of the new media shows).

- Third, IMHO the individual Asian countries are becoming more Asianized, like adopting Korean fashion, reading Japanese Comics, e.g.

The influence of the West is waning IMHO. The idea of Westernization of Asia is an outdated concept. For 6 decades the USA held the world wide leadership in many aspects (high and low (pop) culture, political theory (Democracy), political- and economic power and influence, e.g., but they have lost ground very much and very fast in the past decade for various reasons.

Stalker, how is the excel spreadsheet about my posts going?

Making graphs? Pity you have nothing to say...

And that 99% of Gobbles posts are drivel is not negotiable. Only someone similar would take that down to 75% .

I am very good with spreadsheets actually, although only for important matters, so that rules you out.

Graphs? Na, don't do graphs, too poncey.

Got lots to say, just not boring stuff like what your threads are. I mean your threads are seriously yawn. :whatever:

PS. Gobbles threads are entertaining, unlike your boring threads, which you only post for your own gratification.

PPS. You talk a lot of drivel and you never responded to my comment about your Nippon hard on?

Thanks for that vote of support, Munchy - the cheque is in the mail ! :biggrin:

TTM, if you object to my drivel, you have exactly the same choice as every other BM - ignore threads with my name on them or posts which offendeth thee. You seem to be on some sort of bizarre crusade to enforce your world view, and your will, on the rest of the board, despite being refuted by people who actually live in Thailand. I'm a lightweight - no argument - but if the board was composed entirely of threads such as the last 3 or 4 you've started I doubt that I would bother coming back - might as well just lurk on Ajarn.

Congratulations on rekindling the animosity of the 'good old days' - you must be immensely happy with your efforts.

Archived