Pronunciation

candyfloss

About 8 gazillion Ng's in Southern Cali, and I hear Vietnamese say it one of two ways - both common: "ing," or "ning" -- never anything else.

The name that used to screw me up was Nguyen. I used to say - "alright, where's nuh-guy-en" (he was on my team), just got looks like I was stupid. I was.

Then I said "where's new-yen" - still nothing. It's pronounced "Win" (or 'when' if you prefer) - and that's it.

vietnamese?

isn't "Ng" a cantonese and hokkien surname?

I'm displaying my ignorance aren't I. I should've looked it up. :) Ya know the guys that brought me to Thailand are Chinese/Vietnamese, one is a Ng, and I've always thought the name itself was Vietnamese. Dumbass Dave.

Anyway, everyone around here does pronounce it 'ing,' including the "Ng's" and yes I'm sure that's not correct linguistically, but what it has become - result of living with us hick Westerners. :)

And 'Win' is probably not linguistically correct for Nguyen either, but that's the way everyone says it, including the Nguyens.

I have never heard Nguyen pronounced Win. Maybe because I only heard it pronounced in Vietnam. Must mean folks in LA can't pronounce an "ng". :hmmm:

Ng is definitely Chinese. Cantonese often write in Wong. Says Mr Google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ng

In Thailand it will usually be Sae Ung (sae indicating a Chinese family name).

I have never heard Nguyen pronounced Win. Maybe because I only heard it pronounced in Vietnam. Must mean folks in LA can't pronounce an "ng". :hmmm:

Ng is definitely Chinese. Cantonese often write in Wong. Says Mr Google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ng

In Thailand it will usually be Sae Ung (sae indicating a Chinese family name).

and Ung is pretty close to the correct pronounciation!

I have never heard Nguyen pronounced Win. Maybe because I only heard it pronounced in Vietnam. Must mean folks in LA can't pronounce an "ng".

Maybe the original immigrants can, but their kids definitely don't. True story - I was working with a group at a family practice clinic in Baldwin Park, and this very attractive 20something Viet Uni girl was waiting for a physician. They did an overhead page for a "Dr. Win" and her mother was like: "Oh, good, we have a Vietnamese doctor," -- next thing you know, chubby old white geezer came in. Dr. Wynn. :)

Hell, just see how professional poker player Scotty Nguyen refers to himself: Scotty Win. :)

But the people in LA, named Nguyen, refer to that name as 'Win.' or Wynn. or When. or however you want to spell it. And they will definitely ask you to do the same.

Didn't you live here for awhile? You needed to get out of the Valley more, that place is a cesspool. :)

Archived