Unidentified Westerner Found Shot Dead In Saraburi

Boo Radley

Why didn't the authorities see this coming? The boy is now almost certainly with the Thai family that killed his dad. Absolutely appalling.

At the beginning the police was praised for finding the murderers so fast. But I guess the police only goes so far in these cases. In most Western countries the youth welfare service would have taken over as soon as the mother went into jail. I wonder if this institution exists in LOS and if so, if it has the similar standards and similar set of rules? (I guess not)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the beginning the police was praised for finding the murderers so fast. But I guess the police only goes so far in these cases. In most Western countries the youth welfare service would have taken over as soon as the mother went into jail. I wonder if this institution exists in LOS and if so, if it has the similar standards and similar set of rules? (I guess not)

I wonder too. I did a quick Google searches and found some NGOs, but nothing official.

I can see the ex-wife's family using this as leverage to get the charges dropped or even some money. It's an ugly scenario, but it's not hard to picture that happening here. Consider:

• The ex-wife and her mother lure the guy into a car while the ex-wife's lover lays in wait with a gun to kill the guy. This is not a crime of passion. The ex-lover got a gun and hid in the back of the car. They lured the foreigner into the car so that they could kill him. This is planned and premeditated. Hard to think of a better example of cold blooded murder.
  • The ex-wife's tries to justify this murder by claiming she wanted custody (passion) and that her marriage with the foreigner wasn't genuine anyway because he only married her to have an excuse to stay in the country. Why is this even relevant? What group is she trying to appeal to with this nonsense? (The "it's OK to kill foreigners if they marry a Thai woman for a work permit" crowd?) Not only is it ridiculous (and if any Thais actually think that way, I want to stay clear of them), but its also clearly untrue - he doesn't need her for a visa. He has a good job with an international company. He probably married her because she was pregnant with his son (and I wonder how long the "adopted son" of the mother has been in the background as her lover?)
  • Now, when this is front page news here, she changes her story, and says she killed the guy because he mistreated her son. This wasn't mentioned before and it sounds as though the court was about to award custody to the (now dead) father. And she didn't die trying to protect her son. This was a planned out and premeditated murder.
  • The guy had a good job and was paying generous support. Once he got custody, the support is gone. To me, it sounds like this poor child is simply being used to extort money from the "rich" Farang. The child's own mother was is in on it. So was her "new husband. And ex-wife's mother? Well it sounds like she participated in the set up too.

And then, after all this, the hand the kid over to ex-wife's family? And no one knows where the kid is.

This is damn cold. I hope a big search light is put on this so we find just exactly what is going on, because this sounds absolutely evil.

Is there part of this story that I'm missing -- the boy was released into the custody of the wife's mother, so is she now claiming she doesn't know where the kid is? In Thailand, when you have custody of a child, not knowing the child's whereabouts is considered acceptable? Demand the kid to be produced, arrest the mother if he's not. It's a foreign looking boy, there's no way they can keep him hidden in Thailand. Any competent detective would be able to track him down. Locate the kid, and charge whoever has it with kidnapping.

Cutting thru the BS, how does this happen? The old lady paid a bribe to get herself off and child custody? Not too smart on the part of whoever took that payment, cuz this was bound to turn into a front page news story. He's a foreign big shot. It's cold blooded murder. There's a child involved. The only way it could get to be a hotter story was if he was a celebrity. This is exactly the kind of story the international media (CNN, BBC) should pick up on and shame Thailand's police and justice system worldwide.

Is there part of this story that I'm missing -- the boy was released into the custody of the wife's mother, so is she now claiming she doesn't know where the kid is? In Thailand, when you have custody of a child, not knowing the child's whereabouts is considered acceptable? Demand the kid to be produced, arrest the mother if he's not. It's a foreign looking boy, there's no way they can keep him hidden in Thailand. Any competent detective would be able to track him down. Locate the kid, and charge whoever has it with kidnapping.

Cutting thru the BS, how does this happen? The old lady paid a bribe to get herself off and child custody? Not too smart on the part of whoever took that payment, cuz this was bound to turn into a front page news story. He's a foreign big shot. It's cold blooded murder. There's a child involved. The only way it could get to be a hotter story was if he was a celebrity. This is exactly the kind of story the international media (CNN, BBC) should pick up on and shame Thailand's police and justice system worldwide.

Agree 1000%.

The international media needs to pick up on this and name and shame the police and authorities involved.

My impression is that this sort of crime is on the increase with many Thais believing that it may be worth doing the time in jail if the gains are big enough - ie. gain of 10 mill bt.for 10 yrs behind bars = 1 mill/year,several times the average annual salary :twocents:

Video of Surasit Panchathepmongkhon (the gunman) and Khacharin Duvel's (Duvel's wife) crime re-enactment from last Thursday (04/10/12).

http://77.nationchannel.com/home/301820/

http://news.thaipbs.or.th/video/%E0%B8%9C%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%86%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9D%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87-%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5-%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B3%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%84%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9F%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%81

Short statement yesterday (06/10/12) by Duvel's younger brother Hercules at the Sheraton Grande hotel in BKK's Sukhumwit Soi 12. He said he'd come over with his family to collect his brother's body and wanted to make a statement to counter claims by the Thai family that his brother was unreliable, continually putting off marriage and refusing to support his child. He also denied claims by the family that Duvel was violent to the mother and child.

He also thanked the Thai police for their speedy work in the case and he wanted to take custody of the child but it depended on the Thai courts.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/296574

http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/159375

Good luck to him.

The kid is of course a victim as well. Now the kid probably is being hid by the killers family somewhere. Which means he will have to grow up without father and mother, either with Thai relatives who support his mother and grandmother involved in killing his father, or he will be relocated abroad to people he probably doesn't know well in a different country and culture.

Guest lazyphil

i guess these social services have helped bankrupt most of europes egalitarian fantasy!!!

The kid is of course a victim as well. Now the kid probably is being hid by the killers family somewhere. Which means he will have to grow up without father and mother, either with Thai relatives who support his mother and grandmother involved in killing his father, or he will be relocated abroad to people he probably doesn't know well in a different country and culture.

so in either way the custody battle is decided and whether Thai authorities intervene or not, take away the kid from the killer family or leave it, the kid remains a victim!

Archived