Where Would You Take A 6 Year Old On Holiday ?

torrenova

Last trip over we hired a house with a big private pool in Hua Hin but it wasn't right on the beach and as a consequence, we didn't get much time on the sand. The pool was great to have but on reflection, it was little different to staying in a 5* with large pool, the previously Marriott Riverside being a Bangkok favourite for that reason. I don't think we'd rent another house as we'd prefer restaurants on tap as opposed to being forced to self cater or go out, which rather defeated the point of having our own house !

So where to go next ?

Long tail boats off into the Andaman for 4 hours are probably a little way off for a 6 year old but a ferry to Lanta could be done as could something like the Sheraton in Krabi. Easy to get back to Bangkok on the big metal bird as well.

Went to the JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa too and thought that ok but it needed more stuff for the kids. I also hate Phuket rip offs but we're not there to party.

So in terms of priorities, it seems the kids club is a huge bonus and would probably be the deciding factor. Most decent chain hotels are much of a muchness at 5* level but does anything independent stand out ? Getting out and about for local history is not high on the agenda as we lived in LOS for years but relaxation is.

Not too bothered about price as long as the boxes are ticked. As for dates, could be July/August or December.

Guest lazyphil

Last trip over we hired a house with a big private pool in Hua Hin but it wasn't right on the beach and as a consequence, we didn't get much time on the sand. The pool was great to have but on reflection, it was little different to staying in a 5* with large pool, the previously Marriott Riverside being a Bangkok favourite for that reason. I don't think we'd rent another house as we'd prefer restaurants on tap as opposed to being forced to self cater or go out, which rather defeated the point of having our own house !

So where to go next ?

Long tail boats off into the Andaman for 4 hours are probably a little way off for a 6 year old but a ferry to Lanta could be done as could something like the Sheraton in Krabi. Easy to get back to Bangkok on the big metal bird as well.

Went to the JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa too and thought that ok but it needed more stuff for the kids. I also hate Phuket rip offs but we're not there to party.

So in terms of priorities, it seems the kids club is a huge bonus and would probably be the deciding factor. Most decent chain hotels are much of a muchness at 5* level but does anything independent stand out ? Getting out and about for local history is not high on the agenda as we lived in LOS for years but relaxation is.

Not too bothered about price as long as the boxes are ticked. As for dates, could be July/August or December.

my daughter has been to thailand over 6 times to los from very young, at six she had been to krabi, phuket, bkk etc.....recently had a week on lanta in august, very quiet at this time, very nice island......lots to do in krabi. the tipa resort in ao nang in great. escape cabins on lanta is very nice run by a lovely japanese lady

Guest lazyphil

forgot khao sok national park raft houses. avatar meats jurassic park.

yep thai trains are fun, recently took the trang/bkk night train with my 10 year old-a 6 year old would enjoy too

yep thai trains are fun, recently took the trang/bkk night train with my 10 year old-a 6 year old would enjoy too

you have been in Trang and I have not seen your trip report! IMHO a province off the tourist mainstream, but has a lot to offer. have you been to Tham Morakot? have been there two times but many years ago. still no farangs there?

forgot khao sok national park raft houses. avatar meats jurassic park.

I used the trains overnight to Trang in the early 2000s. Old ex Japanese rolling stock in the rear first class cabins. You leave Bangkok so late that it is dark and there is little to see as you travel along. You save a hotel but you lose time and I wouldn't bother again and certainly not with a child.

I'm travelling all the time with our kids, first rule is make sure they have a bag of their own small toys to play with, some books they like. Then they often amuse themselves during the boring (for kids) times.

Most places in Thailand are very kid friendly, mine love the beach, just being there is enough and a few buckets and spades etc.

The joy of Thailand is Thai's genuinely love kids, so it's always someone around who'll pay attention as well.

Mine are rarely bored, I try and make sure if on business the hotel has a swimming pool then they are fine.

Hua Hin has lot's to do, the "Artist Camp" outside of town past the elephant camp has kids only activities on weekends which is great.

Guest lazyphil

trang interior is quiet even the islands the emerald cave koh mook is supposed to be great though i always go in trhe wrong season and always too wavey to swim thru the cave.

the first class sleeping cabins seem modern and its fun for children imo and hers at least anyway

Archived