The Anything Goes Music Thread!

Flashermac

I remember it well ... October 1973. My students joined in the protest marches demanding a constitution (the government had abolished it!), as did the students from every school in our little city in the lower north. When the military attacked the protesters, my students panicked and tried to barricade the campus. Since they knew I was a VN vet, they asked me to teach them how to make bombs. I replied that I didn't think the Peace Corps meant for me to do that. :p

But it all ended very suddenly. All it took was one phone call from HM to end the violence. Allegedly, he told the government to resign or he would announce his support for the protests. That night the government resigned and the next day the "Gang of Three" flew out of the country. I have mixed but overall good memories of that time. Also well remembered is how students fled from the police to Chitlada Palace. The Queen Mother ordered the gates opened and gave the students shelter in the palace. :up:

This was the good rebellion. 1976 was the bad one. :(

http://en.wikipedia....opular_uprising

"On 6 October, Thirayuth Boonmee and ten other political activists were arrested for distributing leaflets in crowded places in Bangkok such as Bang Lamphu, Siam Square, Pratunam, urging support for an early drafting of the constitution. The ruling government used a decree banning gatherings of more than five people to arrest them."

"... More than a hundred students were killed and many buildings in and around Rajdamnern Avenue were set on fire as the number of demonstrators grew to more than 500,000. The soldiers finally withdrew in the evening and around 7:15 pm the king announced on television and radio that Thanom’s military government had resigned."

Ironic that Thirayuth Boonmee supports the whistle blowers. Bet that really pisses off Than Phu Nam Thaksin. The song was written by Seksan Prasertkul, another student leader. ;)

http://en.wikipedia....ksan_Prasertkul