Atm Fees

ATM fees for foreign ATM card holders.

Just found AEON in my area, only if it can save me 4-5 times 180THB...because: to really compare you need 2 ATMs, 1 that charges the fee and AEON. Do identical transacion for 10K baht on each and...you may find that AEON runs different exchange rate that may even overdo the fee charged by the other one.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aha, there is one AEON ATM at Market Village at Hua Hin (3rd floor next to Body Shape shop), that will be handy while there.

When I saw the logo, realized AEON in Thai is actually a Japanese company. In Japan, they are everywhere, most shopping malls are theirs (like Tesco in Thai).

The biggest retailer in Asia, 80,000 employees and 50 bil US$ a year revenue.

• 3 weeks later...

ttm,

sorry to say you are wrong :)

the exchange rate & further fees apart from your chosen withdrawal ATM direct fee (thai 150-180bt fee) is dictated by your card issuer so whether you chose a,b,x bank in a given country matters shite as the exchange conversion fee % (if any) is dictated by visa/master/etc typically a 1-4% offset to the mean exchange rate on the day of transaction/filing in your home bank...

e.g. visa atm card with no home fees will have the exchange rate to thailand determined by visa international see full info http://www.visaeurop...ange_rates.aspx (europe/uk site)

however to note is when purchasing in shops with your visa/master card these days in LOS its increasingly popular to offer to charge you in your home currency instead of thai baat which used to be maybe an OK deal (prior to the 150/180bt atm fee into), but these days it will add several % to your costs say 3-5% where your typical home bank only adds 0-3% say...so vote with your feet refuse to have baht converted by the thai bank :)

"to really compare you need 2 ATMs, 1 that charges the fee and AEON. Do identical transacion for 10K baht on each and...you may find that AEON runs different exchange rate that may even overdo the fee charged by the other one."

Archived