Thai-Us Relations Going Bad

Flashermac

Michael Yon:

If I were not sitting in the middle of this internal conflict, it would be tempting and easy to cast blame on Thailand. This conflict has resulted in some of the most incompetent, distorted media coverage I have ever witnessed. With that in mind, Americans at home cannot be blamed for forming misconceptions due to misinformation and disinformation.

Aside from abysmal media coverage, our Ambassador to Thailand, Kristie Kenney, has single-handedly alienated millions of otherwise US-friendly Thai citizens. Never has one US Ambassador alienated so many with so little effort.

Ambassador Kenney has even managed to alienate many American ex-pats in the Kingdom. My circle of American friends and associates are at once embarrassed and appalled that Washington allows this to continue.

We are selling out a longtime friend for our own national interests. Our own national interests are best served by first thinking of Thailand's best interests.

Every day, Thai citizens send me letters of concern. This letter arrived one hour ago:

===

"There is widespread belief among educated Thais that the Military has been effectively neutralized in the present political crisis by pressure and threats from the U.S. with the latter continuing to demand immediate elections under existing conditions and ground rules likely to bring back a Thaksin crony regime. They see Robert Amsterdam on the Red Shirt stage in Akxa Road as a reflection of American intentions as symbolized by Ambassador Christie Kenny 's "I love Ying Luck" stance.

"Not since the fall of Saigon has trust and confidence in America fallen so low; then, at least among those of us fighting against the Communists, the feeling was tempered with sympathy because we had been in it together, both in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

"The feeling now is different especially among the old generation from that period. It is a perception of treachery by along time friend, to sell out this country to the biggest band of crooks whose moral ethics would comparatively make Al Capone a candidate for sainthood."

https://www.facebook...FanPage?fref=nf

I would be very supportive of efforts to push back against the dynastic Thaksin hegemony - if the opposition appeared to be at least a minor improvement. Suthep and his band of miscreants do not in any way appeal to me as an alternative to the Thaksin regime.

Thailand appears to have a choice between two despotic camps - and I sympathize with the "middle of the bell curve" Thais who must be crying into their Tom Yam Goong, looking at the bleak alternatives that confront them.

Thailand's present situation marks the only instance that I can think of where I find myself saying "Military rule looks downright attractive, compared to the pathetic choices offered by the dysfunctional 'democratic' political system."

If we are going to live in a country ruled by warlords, I'd just as soon see Chulachomklao alumni in those positions..

Cheers!

SS

The whistle blowers are a combination of many different groups with conflicting goals. If they succeeding in getting rid of Thaksin, they will go their own ways again. This is not Suthep versus Thaksin. Suthep is the unifying figure of the protests. For what it is worth, almost all of the academic groups are backing the protests. They would not tolerate any takeover by Suthep and his "band of miscreants". But all things considered, I don't see Takky and his clan giving up just yet. Even if they lose this time, they will try again.

Agreed not anyone's business but Thai people, it is bad enough as it is ... no fingers in the pie from outside why does the USA always want to police the world

It's all about $$$$...if the USA can control Thailand, then they can get access to the banking and personal info

of all, not only Americans!

The FACTA or should it be Fuck'dUp, has been pushed out 18 months.

I am still waiting, two weeks now, for a reply from Bangkok Citibank as to if I can open a CD at Citibank...TIT...

not completely unexpected as Thai companies have websites and email but many Thais ignore them... :dunno:

So the USA is supportive of elections determining the winner. Yes, a very disturbing, even revolutionary idea! No wonder some Thais would hate the USA for supporting open elections.

Yep, that the U.S. that was in discussions with the PT government to regain the Sattahip navy base. Everyone knows the U.S. government has no horse in this race.

Yep, that the U.S. that was in discussions with the PT government to regain the Sattahip navy base. Everyone knows the U.S. government has no horse in this race.

:rotl: Yeah, the USA really wants that Thai aircraft carrier.

So the USA is supportive of elections determining the winner. Yes, a very disturbing, even revolutionary idea! No wonder some Thais would hate the USA for supporting open elections.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Suspect that the military doesn't object that much to being given a reason to not be dragged into the snake pit that would result from an anti-democratic takeover.