Chinese Tourists Criticized After Video Of Them Shoveling Food With Plates At Buffet In Thailand Goes Viral

Flashermac

The behaviour of a group of Chinese tourists has been criticised after a video showed a group frenziedly using plates as shovels to gather up shrimp at a hotel buffet in Chiang Mai, with subsequent photos revealing that a large amount of the food went wasted.

In the video, which has been widely shared on Chinese social media since it came to the attention of state media, the hungry tourists are seen jostling each other to get at the food and walking away with several plates overflowing with shrimp.

Much to the dismay of the hotel staff, much of the food which was carried away was left uneaten, prompting netizens to deride the behaviour of the greedy tourists.

zx11xz1974 wrote, "What on earth? Have you never eaten shrimp before? Could you lose any more face abroad?"

A netizen from Fujian wrote, "Us mainlanders act like locusts abroad, no matter where we go, not a blade of grass grows."

"Are we sure that they're not Japanese?" wrote another, apparently in reference to an incident earlier this week where Chinese tourists were mistakenly identified for a Japanese tour group frolicking naked on a beach in Thailand.

Others have joked about the situation, arguing that the behaviour of the tourists was driven by the expensive price of shrimp in Qingdao after a story broke last year about one unsuspecting man being charged 2,700 yuan for a modest plate of prawns.

http://shanghaiist.c...dy_tourists.php

[Video on link.]

I'd be more inclined to blame the tour agency. Likely there was more than enough food for everybody. I mean it's understandable they keep the bulk of comestibles in refrigeration, when they are highly poised to deliver with a massive staff. I went to the same buffet with my beautiful girlfriend and we really enjoyed the buffet. But with the restaurant nearly empty we politely asked for some sushi and it was made in front of our eyes. Clearly a troupe of Chinese tourists had been shown a dwindling presentation of food, and then hungry as they are enacted a coup - not knowing that being a buffet, the service would bring more as required. What unsettles me is that as a Westerner, I've learned that might is right in the markets, but in a 4 or 5 star restaurant some sense of decorum is required.

The Social Media in China are right to be outraged - even given Thai mismanagement, I doubt Chinese tourists will be offered a similar buffet in the future after this - it will be modified somehow.

Why are the Chinese so voracious? Are they going to descend on us like locusts? File this one under Chinese Skepticism.

It is totally ingrained in the Chinese, after millions starved to death, to eat when you can!

It is always the same wherever you go.

At some hotels if I see the tour bus pull up with the hordes of Chinese I don't bother to go

to the restaurant. Same story, they Chinese are pure eating machines and will clean out

a buffet like a swarm of locust!!!