Opinion: Thammasat High School: A New Target Of Political Paranoia

Coss

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

- https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2022/02/13/opinion-thammasat-high-school-a-new-target-of-political-paranoia/

February 13, 2022 12:00 pm

Accused of indoctrinating its students with distorted Thai history and monarchy, Thammasat University High School defended itself over the past few days through a statement denying the allegation which hits the headline when Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha said he will send related agencies to look into the school’s syllabus and more.

The allegation came after the school recently invited noted historian and critic of the monarchy and Thai nationalist history Thongchai Winichakul for consultation about its teaching pedagogy.

The school welcomed some curious journalists, and I had the opportunity to do a long Facebook Live interview with the school’s chairman of administration committee Anuchat Poungsomlee and some students on Friday.

After having visited the school and pondered about the issue earlier, here are a few reasons why I think the school is now being targeted by Prayut and ultra-conservative royalists.

First, the powers that be fear children having a different set of understanding and knowledge about Thai history and the monarchy.

Anuchat told me when it comes to history and other subjects, the school, which is barely six years old, does not stress on rote memorization. One student, by the name of Anakin, told me he and his classmates are taught to consider different versions of history.

I can see how those in power may feel threatened and paranoid by it for their hold on power is based of handing out just one version of nationalistic history....

unlikely to end well