Sleeping pills - not knock out pills

I often buy a few sleeping pills when i am in BKK for the next plane trip and to cope with the jet lag.

I usually prefer "light" pills like halcion, imovane, stillnoct etc. (or clones thereof). But it seems that the thai pharmacists only carry "heavier" drugs like xanax.

I would be much surprised if they do not carry any of the above mentioned "light" sleeping pills. But I have yet to find a pharmacy that knows what I am talking about. Maybe it's because they have different brand name ind Thailand.

So, can anyone tell me where to buy sleeping pills whith one of the following active ingredients:

Triazolam (e.g. halcion)

Zolpidem (e.g. stillnoct)

Zopiclon (e.g. Imovane)

Where, What name, How much?

Any help greatly appreciated

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up until about a year ago you could obtain Halcion (triazlolam) over the counter without too much searching. No more. You'll probably have to visit a hospital and see a doctor to get it now. Not familiar with the other two drugs you mentioned, but if you write them down and show them to almost any 'pharmacist' he should be able to tell you if they are available in LOS.

Also, Xanax (alprazolam), Ativan (lorazepan), Valium (diazepam) and Restoril (temazepam) are all benzodiazepines like Halcion (triazolam), but unlike the latter are all marketed as tranqualizers not sleeping pills. However, if you enter a Thai pharmacy and ask for a sleeping aid they will usually hand you alprazolam if they have it.

On the subject of sleeping aids; I've had bouts with insomnia for many years and now take Ambien when I need help (it's not available in LOS) and recommend it. But IMO the best sleeping pill ever marketed was methaqualone. Unfortunately, it was banished from the world market about 20 years ago due to its euphoric side effect which led to widespread abuse. Too bad!!

ST

Theodorx,

I was in BKK last month and asked for halcyon in various "dodgy looking" pharmacies, all of which, except one very seedy place, shook their heads and pointed to the door. Not before, however, offering me Xanax as an alternative. It used to be easy to get Halcyon, but over the last 12 months, it seems to have been tightened up on control wise. NO problem with Xanax, though.

Ironic, really. I always preferred Halcyon ? seemed "mellower'' and not such a hangover effect the next day. Xanax completely floor me, and I'm like a zombie the next morning. frown.gif

(I'm like a zombie most mornings, but you get my drift... wink.gif)

Also, you have to be careful with the Xanax: the pink ones are 0.5 mg, but the darker purple ones are 1.0mg. Two of those suckers will put your headlamps out for a looooong time, especially on top of a dozen beers. blush.gif

Be careful.

j cool.gif

>I always preferred Halcyon - seemed "mellower'' and not such a hangover effect the next day<

Yup, triazolam is classified as a short-acting benzodiazepine thus it hits you harder - kind of all at once! Alprazolam is longer in duration so its effects are more stretched out. I've never noticed any drug hangover problem with ether one though. Beware if you mix liquor with Halcion, the combination will really clobber you and can be dangerous.

ST

"...If buying Xanax in Thailand i always get the kind in the bubble pack that say Xanax. I have tried the Thai kind and they neither taste the same or act the same IMHO."

sanukdee,

I fully agree. I bought some pink "Xanax" pills loose in a plastic bag (as opposed to the bubble pack type that are clearly the real McCoy) a few years ago and they were about as much use as a chocolate frying pan. I reckon I could've downed a dozen of the fuckers and still run a full marathon. Perhaps some of the less, erm, respectable pharmacists keep these pink dummy placebo sweeties under the counter for ignorant suckers like me who stroll in red-faced mid-afternoon on the wrong end of ten beers asking for something to put the lights off?

(In which case they're probably doing me a favour, but if you're seriously seeking a sleeping pill that works, go for the bubble pack purple Xanax every time. Should cost about 85 baht for 10 in a bubble pack, whereas the loose ones are probably about 10 baht for a hundred, and even then a rip-off.)

Sleepy Jack frown.gif

Zolpidem (e.g. stillnoct)

Zopiclon (e.g. Imovane)

Not available in Thailand. Imovane isn't available in the USA either. Although you can get it by prescription in Canada. Best bet is to get Ambien or Sonata in North America or Europe.

Sonata has a half life of only 4 hours, so no hangover. You can take it when you have to wake up in 4-5 hours.

I think Ambien is the same as Stilnocht. Too bad it's not available in LOS. I guess best bet is to find one of Fiery Jack's dodgy looking places for Halcion.

Re: Xanax. "Xiemed" is a clone of Xanax and at half the price. Is that the "made in thailand - version" being talked about? It's in bubble pack.

Archived