You got it easy...

Having just come back from my first trip to Thailand, I must say it was a refreshing change from the situation in another Asian country, Korea. It was a blessing to be able to walk down the street with a local girl wihtout being given the evil eye, being shouted at or worse.

Many times in Korea I have been shouted at by Korean men while walking around with a Korean girl. This used to freak me out, but now I just laugh and walk on. The attitude in Thailand seems to be a lot more easy going...is it because Thai's are a lot more used to it?Has anyone had any bad experiences with regards to Thai reactions to them and their Thai partners?

Part of the problem seems to be that Koreans are generally a insular and xenaphobic race....Do the Thais feel the same way and they just hide their feelings better??

any advice/opinions welcome

On the whole the Thais are a fairly easy going race when it come to Thai / Farang relationships....but the more Thai language you learn the more you hear negative remarks.

I've never had anything shouted at me though!

On the whole the Thai's are a very tolerant race and pretty unconfrontational.

you got lots of Koreans in Kanchanaburi.

they are there trying to play Golf and i find them myself very unpolite towards others especially on the golf course.

was suprised the first time to have a reaction like that from the koreans since i thought in general mostly of the asian people are extremly polite in public places and afraid of losing face or something.

Hi Akarr,

You got lots of koreans almost anywhere in Thailand, well at all the major tourist destinations anyway. You`ll find virtually noone off the beaten track.

Only very few independent travellers.

They apparently prefer to travel by the busloads together with their fellow country men and have little interaction with anybody else.

And the few independent travellers I`ve met who were actually koreans their english was appalling.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Has anyone had any bad experiences with regards to Thai reactions to them and their Thai partners?

Yes, in Udon.

I arrived on the busstation with my thai wife and my kid and as we started to cross the street in order to book in at the hotel just opposite the busstation, we were hailed by a samlor driver, who was standing in the middle of a large group of colleagues.

No, we don`t want any samlor, we replied.

Then he shouted after us or rather my wife: "Hey, how do you two do it anyway when you wanna have sex? "

(I am 190 cm and my wife is only 152 cm.)

I shouted back to him: "Same way you do when you do your mother."

There is no way this guy would have said something like that to a thai couple. He just thought he could take a free shot at us because we were a thai/farang couple and

a) he thought I wouldn`t understand

B) he was with all his buddies and showing off.

Only episode I recall though after living several years in Thailand.

All other reactions have been out of curiosity or interest.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I live around Chumpon with my gf and never experienced any negative attitude towards us from thais. On the contrary, people here are very nice, we chat a lot wherever we buy or eat something. It's possible people talk behind my back, I could not care less. We are both happy to walk together, and that what's counts.

Archived