You got it easy...

The Thais are way more polite and tolerant than the race mentioned.

[color:"blue"]

I don't know how much you know about Korea or the culture ... but do you really, really believe Thais are more polite and tolerant????? Perhaps only at the surface?

Perhaps Thais are much better at hiding their true feelings behind a smile whereas Koreans are more explicit with theirs??? Different cultures?

Much of my time is spent on Suk (so I apologize in advance for my limited understanding and perhaps tainted view/understanding of Thailand), but what I noticed is that people will put up with a lot of shit due to economical needs but their true feelings are quiet different.

NOTE: One positive I see from this thread is that I hope people will see that there are many different cultures in Asia and don't "lump" them together as "asian culture".

[/color]

Hi Jazz,

I wasn`t really trying to make a point, only suggesting that this may be the reason why they prefer to travel in groups on package tours. Nothing wrong with that of course.

Whileas english is not a requirement when travelling in Thailand it sure makes life a lot easier for everybody. Unless you speak the local lingo needless to say.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

only suggesting that this may be the reason why they prefer to travel in groups on package tours.

Regardless of the country of origin, I believe most tourists (especially older and/or couples/families) travel internationally on tour packages. I have absolutely no facts to back up my statement but, IMHO, this would be most cost effective and efficient way to tour. And I believe package tour travellers would typically be ONE time visitors (or first time visitor) to the location.

[/color]

Whileas english is not a requirement when travelling in Thailand it sure makes life a lot easier for everybody.

While not totally disagreeing with you, outside the farang-oriented areas, I can't see too many Thais speaking English sufficiently to converse with Koreans speaking English. Having translators would be more effective. Or the locals would learn to speak the language of the visitor, if the business warrants it. I have had Thai caddies giving me yardages in Japanese or Korean (whatever they thought I was).

While I concede that English is the international business language ... I disagree and dislike the ideal that inability/inadequacy to speak English is a deficiency ... just my point and not inferred from your postings.

NOTE: not sure why posters are using "race" to describe Koreans ... I think a "nation" or "country" is more appropriate???

[/color]

NOTE: not sure why posters are using "race" to describe Koreans ... I think a "nation" or "country" is more appropriate???

You're right. The expression race is completely misleading. :(Koreans as well as Japanese, Chinese, Thais and many other East Asians belong to the Mongolian race.

Saharzie,

The attitude you described is in no way unique to Korea - they obviously lack the relative tact of other Asian nations. I think it depends on where you are, too : a more cosmopolitan, busy city is probably less likely to breed people who have nothing better to do than harass mixed-race couples. Unfortunately, there will always be some idle chatter, whether its in Asia or the West : open confrontation is something else.

If you ever go to China with an Asian woman, expect to be stared at constantly, at least in the South. Its tough to handle, but its part of the price for being a 'trailblazer' :)

BTW, Caucasian-Asian couplings seem to be de rigeur among the teens here in Brissie at the moment - a new generation and, hopefully, a new attitude.

My opinion is based on 3 things...but in the end..it is just my OPINION

1. Growing up in silicon valley and mixing with multiple generations of almost every asian nationality, including many Koreans.

2. A brief study of intl affairs in my days as a poli sci major.

3. My work has allowed me to travel fairly extensively and meet and observe folks from all nations.

Koreans are some of the most nationalistic, xenophobic people I have ever met. They have a superiorty complex that is completely undeserved. Even in California, with its incredible diversity, Korean guys do not like you dating their women! And with the current conditions in Korea, with regards to anti-american sentiment...I would luv to see the US pull out and let them sacrafice their boys on the front line!..Koreas gov't protected and supported industries have been bought up by foreign firms in recent years because they didn't hav the talent to run them in a level field and now they are pissed about it! I realize that this is a tangential discusion and probably should be left alone since it is not that simple but...I had to throw it in :devil:

Archived