Hotel Joiner Fee Rip Off ??

hall

Recently stayed in Pattaya for a couple of days. Accommodation was prepaid. On check-in I was informed that if I brought a friend back to the hotel,the joiner fee would be 700 baht.

OK so pick up a freelancer and return to hotel. As the hotel is one of the lowrise type spread over a fair area with several entrances, it was not neccessary to pass reception which was a reasonable walk from my room. My T/G says she will

go pay the joiner fee at reception (with my baht of course!) and then come to my room. Usually I would have gone but I'd had a few and appreciated not having to walk the extra distance!

Anyway no problem. Girl arrives at room 5-10 minutes later and leaves next morning. I checked out that morning requesting a receipt for the joiner fee. (Even joiner fees are tax deductable!!)

Crunch time - no record of joiner fee being paid. So who ripped me off?? T/G, hotel staff or hotel management.

My guess is T/G. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Cheers Hall

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really doesn't matter. Chances are good that the girl pocketed the money. Joiner fees are a lot like the tree falling in the forest - if no one is around to hear it fall, there is no sound. Likewise, if you make it to the room without getting stopped, you are unlikely to have to pay.

The one time I paid a joiner's fee, a number of years back, I was (to my surprise) issued a receipt.

RickF

Rick.

Not always !! Made it to my room with B/g in tow at the Narai on Silom. 5 minutes later knock on my door - bellboy demands joiner fee. 500 baht. Paid him but on this occassion I did get a receipt from reception the next day! Course that don't neccessarily mean it went through their books !!! Come to think about it, I wonder if any joiner fee actually gets into the accounting system !

Cheers Hall

I am surprised it is that low.

It was the first hotel I stayed at ( I was young, naive and it was my first time ) 4 years ago and they quoted me 600B then.

It is of course a very nice hotel and thats why the fee is so high, to try keep out the one nighters.

I ended up just staying at one of the Sawasdee chain for the night 200/250/300 and saving myself the effort of trying to dodge.

It also had the advantage of I could never have anything valuable stolen from my room by a girl. :neener:

Archived