Any Experience with Creating a Will in LOS ?

Not to be morbid; but, I have a practical question about my final wishes, should I ever pass away while in The Kingdom. I have a valid will in the States which 'covers' me over there; but, what about when I'm living over here? My main objective is to avoid any potentiality that would necesitate my wife having to return my remains to the States (to spare her estate the expense). I would wish to be creamated (with appropritae party resulting :: ) here in LOS. ... BTW, where would you have your ashes scattered or stored ?

Seriously though, has anyone done this through an attorney? Is this legally necessary? and, if so, what's the best course of action, and an appoximate price range one could expect to pay to accomplish this ?

There was a piece in last weeks paper about a farang- thai relationship and what happens if a farang is killed. Basically it advises to have all money matters translated into both langauges. to get all accounts etc listed. etc. They had some good points but no legal advice. I have my will tucked away with my execuator of the will ( friend in the US) to take care of things. I would hate for my wife to have to fight the legal battles and will try and make it as easy as possible for her when the time comes

If you intend to live on LOS longterm, I would suggest that a notorized copy of the will be deposited at your Embassy either directly or in one of their approved legal staff's offices.

I have been working on my will the last few weeks and it is really bothering my wife- suppostly bad luck and asking why I am doing this at the age of 30. Many Thais dont have wills and it is assumed the chain of inheritance and there is little fighting over inheritance probably since most dont have much.

I am mainly doing it since I have some requests for my last "bed" I will lay in forever. Also I want some respected friends to gather my assets since they are spread out all over the world and it would be difficult for my wife to know exactly what to do.

I know that my family or friends would not try and steal money from my wife when I pass on but I just want my wishes know.

I am basically making my own will off of examples of other canadian wills. With working internationallly and probably will be most of my life, I dont see the advantage of hiring a lawyer to do it since it wont be country specific. I Have some trusted friends, accountants and lawyers that are looking at it and giving me hints. I may be wrong and maybe do need a lawyer but have yet to get one. I think if I do accumulate extensive assets I may need one but for now I will do it on my own

The attorney (in the States) who created my will said that, in essence, it 'covers' me anywhere in the world, as I am an American citizen living in another country. While that may be true, I will insist that an extra clause be included, one that dictates exactly what is to be done with my remains should I decease in LOS. I agree with your suggestion, that a notorized copy be filed at the American Embassy. My wife already has a copy of the will as it now stands. She knows how to call/e-mail either my cousin (Executor) or the attorney who created the will. It is important to keep proceeds from life insurance policies separate from the will (or stipulate that insurance policies be exercised, as is your right), so as to avoid the probate period required of wills (trusts can avoid this). Make your wife the primary beneficiary (life insurance), and any children resulting from your relationship, secondary beneficiaries. A death certificate, signed with date & time, and also as to cause of death, by a licenced physician, must be presented to the embassy for verification before the claim can be processed (there is an acceptable time frame for this). Generally, once the death claim form is completed, payment is made within 2 weeks or so. :hubba: I did not intend to imply that death was caused by a licensed phyician ... that could be the case in any country !

Not to be overly morbid, but the situation is often, that unlike our belief that our spouse, or beneficiary will survive us, the fatality is often multiple. Car accidents, planes, natural disasters, often take out multiple family members or at least render them to a condition where they are not capable of following your last wishes.

Executors and their alternates on other continents may not have the resources or time to execute a will in a foreign country. Your local embassy and their staff have both legal and moral obligations to execute your wishes, regardless of the circumstances of your demise.

Of course being done in by the wife, who caught you in the act, in a house of ill reupute, may negate the whole thing...so be careful! :grinyes: :grinyes:

Archived