When to bargain and when not to.....

ultras67

Agree with Ultras

If the price is stated then IMO it is not negotiate.

OK you can ask discreetly but be prepared to be let down.

As for arquing for 5 baht

I will argue till i am blue in the face if I think Thais can get something cheaper. Even if the difference is 5 baht.

It the principle.

Its got to the stage that I wont buy anything from stalls as Im paranoid about over pricing.

Not because I cant afford the infleted price, its just the principle.

If I want something from a stall I send the GF and would never go along with her.

As for voting with yuor feet.

Yes I agree. So do it by going to a cheaper internet place.

Dont use a service which is clearly priced and then kick off cos you think its unfair.

I have this all the time in my soi.

Internet is 20 bht per hour and international calls are also cheap.

The Africans who use the place day in day out always complain about the price. So much so the owner had to errect higher signs to indicate the cost of everything and the house rules.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" i do not understand why you blame her as nearly everything is negotiable in LOS."

Sounds to me like the woman doing the haggling thought she was getting ripped off. Why else would you bother about 5 baht? Maybe the worker was trying to cream a few extra baht off farangs for himself. Maybe the customer sensed this. I remember last trip a salesperson wanted to charge me 150 baht for a mp3 disc when the real price was 100 baht.

ultra67,

I would be cringing too.I always do when I hear farangs carrying on about small amounts of baht.Try your luck for a cheap price ok,at stalls and the market.Ask for a discount at larger stores.It cant hurt.But making a song and dance about it seems a waste of time to me.Normally at internet cafes you can see the price clearly.But if you cant,ask .If its to expensive go elsewhere.

CHEERS.

I have gotten 5-10% off something for asking

-----------------------------

keeping to agree with you. I was 2 days ago at MBK, buying a ring for my GF, the price on the sticker was 12000, I chose it for her, and when the bill was writtten, the clerk had taken a 10% discount off it, without me asking actually. That's why I hate to generalize about thais this or thais that.

Says jasmine:

Hi,

It is not only the cultural thing, it is innate, some people try to get things for nothing.

i like to get things for nothing! for example when they ask me for 200 baht entry fee to a national park and i can bargain it down to the thai fee of 10 baht, which is really close to nothing (happened just recently in doi inthanon) or if i can enter somewhere for free in accompany of some tourists claiming i am the makhutet...

and i admit that i sometimes bargain (lut lakka der!) for ridiculous amounts like 20-40 baht, just because i am in the mood to bargain or sometimes i just overpay a couple of hundred bahts without any motion, just as i have no mood or time to play this stupid bargain game...

"As for bargaining, well sure there is a time and place, many people think department stores are nono places for bargaining, but it doesnt hurt to ask whether they have specials or some sort of discount system etc, many times I have gotten 5-10% off something for asking."

Bought a CD at Central Dept. Store the other day and the clerk asked me if I had a discount card. I've seen others use them there. Anyone know how to get one?

-redwood

Archived