Old stewardesses root of SAS troubles

I don't give a hoot what they look like... if they look good, its a bonus! I just want my arse to get there safely..... if I'm on the way to Thailand, there'll be more princesses to look at than I could ever want, and if I'm going away from LOS, then seeing beautiful women just depresses me even more... Pete: You? Drinking? Noooooo! :hubba:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

I am jumping in on this thread rather late as I only just saw it, but the words of Fred Olsen are taken right out of my mouth.

I am danish and SAS staff and normally I fly with Thai Airways, but last time they had no vacancy so I booked with my own company.

The flight was just fine, service and everything, but I was very surprised indeed to see that the entire staff were all close to 50.

In this case I don`t think it would be appropriate to call them "aging mothers" rather grandmothers.

I would say that this constitutes an genuine image problem when compared to TG and SQ.

SAS press spokeswoman Siv Meisingseth was baffled by Olsen's remarks.

"I don't know what he means," Meisingseth said, and could not see the connection with motherhood and reduced abilities to work as a stewardess.

How PC. That really says it all. She doesn`t even know what he means! :banghead:

Mayby she should try to ask some of the passengers?

Suppose these 50 year old women were working as models, I wonder if she could see the reduced abilities then.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

SAS is a star alliance partner. So he gets the flights for TG most likely for the same price as SAS. My sister works for Lufthansa, and she can fly on virtually all airlines from the Staralliance (and some more) for the same price as with Lufthansa. (10 % of ticket plus Taxes)

Hi!

As I have to pay for my tickets I normally opt for Thai. Last summer I had to go home on a SAS flight and had the good fortune to get an upgrade to bisiness class. I must say that I liked the Airbus better than the 747 and the service was quite compareable. This was a pleasant surprise as I haven't gone on SAS flight for a long time. I sure don't miss the stuck up young stewadesses in the eighties that treated you like shit if you weren't wearing a white shirt and a tie. I prefer the older ones whi do their job.

Also to be fair, the Thai stewardesses aren't all that young.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi Ib13,

Well, I travel with Thai at roughly the same price as with SAS, since Thai is also a member of the Star Alliance.

And the main reason for me travelling with Thai is that I feel like being in Thailand as soon as I step into the plane. I get to speak some thai with the stewadesses, have some nice thai food etc. and sure don`t mind to watch some eyecandy strolling up and down the aisles. ::

But given the fierce competition between the airline companies these days I do believe that the ageing airline staff with SAS constitutes a slight image problem when compared to the competition.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi Alholk

I do agree with your sentiments about the airbus versus the 747.

I was travelling with SAS on the new airbus for the first time last year and it was indeed a pleasant experience.

The service aboard was also irreproachable.

But I believe that passengers aboard expect airline staff to be relatively young and attractive.

When you apply for a job as an air hostess you need to meet certain standards about your looks and age. I am not saying that I am in favour of that, but it is a fact. But once you`re in, it seems like you are in forever.

If you see advertisements from airline companies you can be sure that they do not put any of the "grannies" in there.

So they have kind of created that image themselves.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived