Old stewardesses root of SAS troubles

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=475367

Old stewardesses root of SAS troubles

Airline owner Fred. Olsen launched an unusual argument to explain Scandinavian Air Systems' nagging economic problems in a TV2 interview - SAS has an image problem, and aging mothers as stewardesses are part of it.

Olsen longingly compares the approach of Singapore Airlines.

"Singapore Airlines has these Singapore girls ... and that makes for a bit of a difference in image than SAS, which takes back their old stewardesses after they have had children," Olsen said.

Olsen is known as a shipowner as well as the owner of Norway's largest private airline.

SAS press spokeswoman Siv Meisingseth was baffled by Olsen's remarks.

"I don't know what he means," Meisingseth said, and could not see the connection with motherhood and reduced abilities to work as a stewardess.

"We highly value the employees that have been with us for many years. With several years on the ground they also bring valuable expertise into the air," Meisingseth said.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We highly value the employees that have been with us for many years. With several years on the ground they also bring valuable expertise into the air," Meisingseth said.

Yes, that's true, and..... high salaries and excellent service... :cussing:

funny you would compare those 2 great airlines, but with truely different approaches!

being danish & having flown with SAS extensively I had the pleasure of doing a Singapore UNI management project on SQ & I clearly remember that very 'Singapore girl' image & mind you it's not an old mother image, which SAS might have, but still as far as I'm aware they both do great business though SQ far superiour...

I was going with them many times. On my last flight, one stewardess was definitely above 50 yrs. They had some eye candy though (if you like blondes). SAS is not the worst choice though.

Went back yesterday on SAS, biz-class. In BKK, departure was delayed for one hour because of a broken door. In CPH, departure was delayed for one hour again because of a computer problem (we had to change the aircraft). And the head stewardess was 50++ yrs again. No problem getting drinks. :drunk:

Says ib13:

oh amazing you still had the energy to get drunk after such extended sanuk
:eek:
:hubba:
:drunk::grinyes:

Took me not that many drinks ;)

ps: Did you read my msg on the PYC-thread?

Archived