Anybody know their way around a Tecra 780 DVD?

steffi

This is a rather old Toshiba Laptop but it's still good enough for what my wife needs. Problem is that the modem on the computer isn't working and I won't spend any money on this machine to fix it but I need to know whether it's a software issue or not.

In windows 98 she gets an error 666 when dialup up which indicates the com port cannot be opened and in XP Pro she gets a 797 which indicates the modem isn't connected to the computer.

Either way, this isn't easy to diagnose when you're in the UK.

Anybody know this machine especially well to suggest how to fix this problem?

Interestingly enough a co-worker came into an old laptop, but it has Windows 95 on it.

somewhat of a similar problem (can't access the modem as it is already busy with another program). Never had enough time to diagnose it though I think I know the problem.

My question to you is the modem PCMCIA? If so, the card manager could be conflicting with the communication programs. It's really interesting because the OS sees the modem and I can ask it to successfully query the modem. Though I can't even get hyperterminal to access the modem.

So, ni any event, I really don't have any helpful advice. Though, if it is PCMCIA, I'd suggest into looking for an updated PCMCIA manager from the manufacturer or even going through the route of buying an external modem and using the serial port on the back of the computer.

<<burp>>

I believe the modem is a serial port. It's not a PCMCIA modem although I have two sitting here with me that would work as both slots on that machine are not currently being used. The Modem is bound to COM2 and it's setup in the bios. I don't remember if it's removable or not. I assume as a replaceable part it is.

I believe the modem is a serial port. It's not a PCMCIA modem although I have two sitting here with me that would work as both slots on that machine are not currently being used. The Modem is bound to COM2 and it's setup in the bios. I don't remember if it's removable or not. I assume as a replaceable part it is.

Knowing that it is not a PCMCIA modem... You need to go into modem in the control panel and see if you can query it.

If you can't query the modem, chances are it is not set up properly and there could be conflicts with IRQ or memory address. Someone would have to go through and make sure there are no conflicts. That would be my next step if it was in front of me.

<<burp>>

"I believe the modem is a serial port. It's not a PCMCIA modem although I have two sitting here with me that would work as both slots on that machine are not currently being used. The Modem is bound to COM2 and it's setup in the bios. I don't remember if it's removable or not. I assume as a replaceable part it is. "

I took a peek at Toshiba's WEB site for the spec. The PC has an internal modem, thats probably the one you are using. It has only 1 serial port, so its just emulating COM2 and using its resources.

As previously suggested you should enter the control panel, modems and test it. Also look in device manager to see if you have any error message there. I also think Toshiba has a HW setup/diag program in windows which you could take a look at.

You could also download the correct driver from Toshiba's WEB site, remove the modem from windows and reinstall it.

Cheers!

Archived