ong bak and other thai movies

haltest

For movie lovers, there seem to be a lot of quality thai films coming out this year. In particular "ong bak" a film about a thai kickboxer, complete with tuktuk chases and some brilliant martial arts action, I have only seen the trailor so far and it is released on Friday (in Bangkok) I think.

"A sacred Buddha statuette called Ong Bak is stolen from a rural village and it soon becomes the task of a young man, Boonting (Phanom Yeeram), to track the thief down to Bangkok and reclaim the religious treasure. Along the way, Boonting must use his astounding athleticism and traditional Muay Thai skills to combat his adversaries. This is director Pracha Pinkaew?s attempt to create a true-blooded Thai martial arts action film."

There is also a movie about an aging thai rock band "Pan Roak" (somewhat akin to This is Spinal Tap I would guess)

"The Dino Band was a famous rock band that split more than thirty years ago, but the rocker?s blood in each of them is calling for a return to prove that they are not just old has-beens. Of course, the lengthy interval brings some difficulties: their age makes backyard gardening a more suitable occupation for them than rocking onstage; there?s a generation gap between them and current rock fans; and each of them has personal problems. But determination, and the fact that this chance may never come again makes them struggle to prove the saying ?Rock Never Dies?. And if they are going to die soon, they need a stage for their finale. "

And there was the movie Sin Sisters about 5 girls discussing their most embarassing sexual experiences

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see Ong Bak today. What a wicked movie!!!

The best martial arts movie I've ever seen, usually I don't like this type of film.

Brilliant moves, nicely shot, pretty funny too. There's an excellent chase scene involving about 30 tuk tuks doing stuff you wouldn't have believed a tuk tuk could do.

Excellent scenes involving the kicking of Farang ass... being the only Farang in the audience I felt kind of nervous... Farangs were portrayed as pure animals, one of the movie's few draw backs.

All in all highly entertaining, essential viewing!

Archived