China

Hi!

Does somebody know, if I can have at present good sanuk in China? I'm planning a short trip end of February starting in Bangkok. Bangkok Airways are flying to Xian and Xishuangbanna. I heard also something about Beijing.

Bye

Jan

Did you try a search on any of the cities/provinces you'll be visiting ? China gets a fairly regular mention here, but you need to do a little research. Here are my observations :

1. You will need to at least attempt to speak some Mandarin (and/or Cantonese in the south) in most Chinese cities. They may all learn English in school, but dont expect the majority to be fluent English speakers.

2. Its not Thailand, and you need to be aware of that when engaging the services of a sex worker. Again, the archives contain plenty on this. I was amazed by how quickly busy alleyways turned into dark and forbidding places when I took one wrong turn too many in Nanning, and all I was looking for was food.

3. Whilst sex may be comparatively cheap away from the richer cities, be prepared for high prices in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen.

There are several members who know a lot more about China than I do, but I suggest that you run that search first.

Good luck.

Kunming is my old stomping grounds. Definately Mandarin, plus local Yunan dialect that will somedays make you crazy. It's a good sanuk town but NOT cheap.

Enjoy. :grinyes:

LaoHuLi,

Here you are AGAIN ! Just out of curiousity, do you know much about Indonesia ? I have adikgede for my Indo questions, but I like a backup in case he goes off on a month-long trip to the wilds of Borneo or something. Man, I'd love to get you two in a bar in Jakarta or Pnomh Penh or Hanoi or Shenzhen or .....

Seriously, you are invaluable asset to this board - damn few of us left :)

Sorry ib3 and artiew, don't do Indonesia, nor Phillipines, seldom Malasia. Avoid Muslim countries after spending 5 years in them (heck I avoid Christian countries too).

Did 2 years in China, working for Thais (it was CHALLENGING!!!!)

Been here on and off for 20+ years and the rest of the stuff was when I was young and foolish........wonderful. :neener:

LaoHuLi,

Just out of wild curiousity, how many languages can you speak well enough to 'get around' (hotels, food, chatting up women etc) ? By my count, you have English (I'm still working on that), Thai, Mandarin, possibly Cantonese, and possibly French. But who's counting :)

My Mandarin will never get better until I am placed in a situation where I MUST use it everyday. Even here in Oz, the vast majority of the Chinese are from areas which speak Cantonese (the Singaporeans use whatever's handy : I expect that Singlish will be a recognised language within 10 years). It's a shame - Mandarin is so wonderfully singsong when its whispered into ones ear at 2am ....

I get by in ENglish, French (although it is the Canadien version and I am told I speak it like a German, hmmm..I don't think that is a compliment.). My Thai is strictly street stuff as is my Mandarin. I agree though that Mandarin needs to be lived in, and Thai as well for me. Not hearing it constantly reduces my vocabulary overnight. In the past I was able to spend 6 months at a time in LOS and could get by OK on the street. Now, my short 5-6 week trips do little to keep my language skills together. But my GF says if I come spend next winter with her (and that's the gameplan) she will teach me many things. :neener:

I have a very poor head for languages, and need to be in complete immersion for it to work at all, but have found that attitude, body language and paying attention are the best tools for communication. One can learn to "hear" a language by "groking" it, although one will miss the fine points.

At one time I also spoke fluent Pashto (Farsi dialect) but now only remember a few phrases. Sure wish someone would invent that universal translator. :grinyes:

Archived