awk bai...

awk jaak...

raang.....

jaak gan....

jaaeo = run away

nee ® = run away

wing nee = run away

nee bai = run away

Only thing I know for certain is that 'awk' = 'depart'. So if you were asking what time the bus leaves, you would use this word. And of course, 'I go (place)" = "Phom bai (place)" And placing 'ja' in front of verb (bai), makes it a future event. But can't understand the differences of the others, and what is appropiate under what circumstances. Thanks in advance.

Oh...one more question....'kii hok', as in new Jantara song = ?

Kii(f) is a prefix for describing people, but only can find 'hok' as in the number 6. :dunno:

HT

This is totaly irreelevant to your post.

Chill!

You started to make a SIMPLE guide for newbies. Now you have emmersed yourself in the kelpbed of Thai language.

STOP !

The original premise was brilliant. Continue the simple approach. Just do it. Like traveling. If you need more than a carry on, you still haven't figured it out. Don't end up to be what you started out to prevent.

Think newbie, write newbie, just DO IT !

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Says HIGH THAIED:

Oh...one more question....'kii hok', as in new Jantara song = ?

Kii(f) is a prefix for describing people, but only can find 'hok' as in the number 6.
:dunno:

has nothing to do with 6; khii hok is southern thai dialect for gohok (to lie); and the same for

khii tua (isarn)

khii dju (norhtern thai)

there was a thread about this: khii hok

and the song is called fan jar

Is this for the guide? If it is then I agree with LHL but if your just asking then here goes...

La (mid tone).... 'leave' (for people) most commonly found in the phrases "la gon" (I'm leaving, farewell) and "la awk" (quit, as in a job)

awk... go out of, out, etc - used alot as a a phrasal verb "ao awk" (take out of) "tarng awk" (exit) too many to go into here.

jaak...(low tone) = to go away from - or just simply 'from'

bai.... 'go'

jaak bai... ' leave' but not very common

awk bai...'go out'

awk jaak... 'go out from, leave from'

raang..... ????

jaak gan.... 'away from each other, separated' again not too common unless found in a letter to a lover far away

jaaeo = run away ?????

nee ® = run away - flee

wing nee = run away (describes how they fled - by running)

nee bai = run away

Only thing I know for certain is that 'awk' = 'depart'. So if you were asking what time the bus leaves, you would use this word. - correct but this is the only time 'awk' means 'depart'

Oh...one more question....'kii hok', as in new Jantara song = ? Liar?? It's a dialect (forget which) probably related to 'gohok' (lie)

Hi LaoHuLi,

:: :: :grinyes:

This post is not relevent to the 'newbies' guide. "Bai/bpai/" will be the only word included in that.

To really do the 'newbie guide' right, I need to have an accelerated knowlege of the language to do correctly. As most of my posts will contradict, I am somewhat of a perfectionist, and want it to be a well thought out, and intelligent document. Initial lessons will be VERY basic stuff, so newbie can make him/herself understood for absolute nessesities ('where toilet?/how much?/how old you?/what you name?/what you mean 3k baht for S/T?.....you fuckin' nuts, or what???? :grinyes:)

As part of this project, I wanted to have another newbie section that will include stuff they will hear, and consequently, be able to quickly look up. The whole reason I see this project as a need, is because what they are going to hear, is a lot of idioms/slang, that they are NOT going to be able to look up in their 'looney planet' phrasebook. This project was born from this fact, and my consequent fustrations surrounding not being able to find transliterations for words I'm hearing often, on Thai radio, emails, while there, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that it needs to be done like this. It's relatively easy to design a newbie phrase list. But a big part of being a newbie is the fact of not knowing/understanding what is going on around you, when actually there. A major part of this will be to have an idioms/slang, word/phrase list. The very simplistic form of speech they will be outputting, is not what they will be receiving as input.

What's the use of a newbie being able to ask a question, without understanding the answer? This is the inherant 'hard part' to my endevour. I have realized I need to increase my knowlege, before proceding further. Idealy, the teacher should be the master of the given subject. In this case, that is not nessesary, but it is clear, I need to be several levels above (in term of intelligence), of the subject matter, in order to make this endeavor worthwhile.

Time frame? It's going to take a while, but trust me that it will be quite good, and very useful, when completed. ::

HT

I trust you. So will the newbies.

I'm sure it will x1000 what I walked out of the plane with 20 years ago.

I guess I am just hoping that this will be a real work, not just one in progress. I understand YOUR concerns, but they are not relevent to the newbies you say you want to help.

I'm saying , forget the perfection (it's only for you), forget doing it "right" (we're all still learning)

Just get at it and to it. There are many on this grand board who will contribute/critisise/support, but the bit is in your teeth. It will never be perfect, nor will we, but only by doing, can it become a work in progress.

In th e past week 10,000 + newbies have arrived here with Thai Airways as a guide.

Up 2 U. :cussing:

Archived