Soi 10 Phoenix Rises from the Ashes

StoneSoup

Well, maybe not exactly. But ........

A famous almnus of my alma mater once wrote: "I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."

With that point in mind, I'm writing to point out that a new bar opened last night (Friday 7 February) at Soi Zero. Occupying the space formerly operated as Mad Dogs bar (opposite Det 5 Sexy Night), the new venue is called "Friends" bar. Typical Soi Zero bar - one pool table, some fans, a few barstools - not a very remarkable place. But occupying a prominant spot on the wall is a large framed overhead photo of the destruction at Soi 10, so the owners can point out where their former bar used to stand.

12 days from being razed to being back in business. Not the geatest bar, but a great "never say die" attitude.

I was surprised to note that I actually know the owner, who - back when I first arrived in Bangkok - used to be a waitress at the Taverne Inn on the "Chevalier" sub-soi off Sukhumvit Soi 3 (I stayed in a room upstairs for a few weeks - that restuarant has been gone for a couple of years now).

Here's wishing best of luck to the friends and staff of "Friends" bar.

I opened with a quote, now I'll close with a paraphrase (because the quotation isn't on the web, at least not so far as I have been able to tell).

I went to a college where several "unusual" subjects were absolutlely required subjects. One of those mandatory subjects was boxing. Every student at some point passed through "the boxing room" where everyone had to ultimately fight three 3-round matches. This was a shadowy, musty room that had literally absorbed the sweat and blood of 50 or 60 years worth of anxious, non-volunteer boxers. Up on one wall, in faded, dingy letters was a mantra that went something like this:

"When your gloves are so heavy that they feel like lead weights.....go one more round.

When your lungs are burning so bad that you can hardly breathe....go one more round.

When your knees feel so weak that you can hardly stand up....go one more round.

The man who always goes one more round is never beaten.

StoneSoup

The Fighting Fish

"Beaten paths are for beaten men"

I was in the Living Room last night with my GF and some friends. My GF was talking to a girl she knew who worked in one of the Soi 10 bars and she said that her boss was planning to open a new bar on Soi 3, do not know where but she said that work has started on the new bar already. She said there are other bars opening there as well in the next few weeks.

I also asked about the no entry type official notices hanging above the door of this bar and the Delifrance next door. The girls translated them as demolition notices and pointed across the road ( Soi 10) to indicate what is going to happen.

Sukumvhit Road is one huge demolition site at the moment as the whole right hand side of the Ambassador food court is also coming down at the moment.

Soon we won't be able to recognise our favourite strip of road!

Uniformguy

Archived