Your opinions please

Fidel

I've been teaching in Thailand for almost 2 years now and as much as I enjoy it I know I have to start thinking about doing something that'll give me some kind of security later.

I have an honours BA and a post grad in Business and IT with experience in the IT industry.

The thing is, since I started teaching here I've grown to like it.

Now I'm considering going back home and doing the one year Higher Diploma in Education and pursuing a career in education.

I think that this would be a wise move as it would give me a degree of mobility... I could make a good living teaching in international schools all over the world or in regular high schools in English speaking countries.

Does anyone here know anything about this type of career track, promotional prospects etc? Maybe you have friends who have gone down a similar route...

A boring post I know but any input, suggestions etc would be welcome.

check out:

www.uni.edu/placement/overseas

They have recruiting fairs in the US where overseas schools

go to recruit, also they may know schools looking for individuals where you are. But, I've heard that the best

jobs are for those recruited in the US, more negotiating ability for some reason..

Hope this helps!

Fidel,

As you know, my I have spent the last 8 weeks trying to find work in IT, despite extensive commercial experience, degree quals etc. I am now pursuing a basic Training qualification that will allow meto teach IT at TAFE here in Oz, so I think that gives you an idea of what my recommendation would be.

Current job prospects aside, I would always advise someone to do something they actually enjoy. If you enjoy teaching, assuming that you are good at it, then I strongly urge you to pursue it. Reading Stick's rundown of the demands of the teching profession, I certainly dont underestimate the effort required, and I think the world needs more teachers and less lawyers and politicians. End of sermon.

Good luck.

Archived