Reflections on last trip, what'll kill Nana, etc.

bibblies

Nok, your right I prefer to give my custom and baht to establishments that I feel offer good value and don't treat their customers with contempt. And have of course fun girls with a good attitude. I've always thought that the gogos are generally better in Bangkok than they are in Pattaya. But I think the gap now is even greater. I know your pet hate is hotel ID checks. One of mine is the bar fine curfew that more and more Pattaya gogos now impose. Going back to the Crown Group however, as you say long may their decline continue as long as their contempt for customers continues.

Cheers Simie.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding ID checks, that is something which I can control either thru bribes or finding another hotel.

barfine dictates i.e. not before 11PM are I guess not under your/my control other than not bar hopping before 11PM. I don't think I would ever care to go to a gogo bar and not be able to barfine due to some rule like that. I've visited a few but only to say hello, not looking for a girl.

I agree, Bangkok the place for Gogo girl action.

cheers

Nok

art,

You're pulling my leg, right? ::

If my comments on the nightlife scene in Bangkok seemed more negative than positive, I am sorry they came off that way.

Yes, there are a few downers as bibblies pointed out. However, overall, I think there is still great sanuk to be had in the Big Mango in many locations. Yes, you do have to pick and choose your spots, and I think that is one good reason to read this board regularly. Of course, you make the decision on where to go, but isn't it nice to have the views of some of the regulars on the scene to help you with your decision-making process? :)

Bali? C'mon, get real. ::

According to the mamasan in Rainbow 1, Rainbow 3 is closed for 15 days and will reopen. She told me the same reason for closure you did.

The Rainbow 3 dancers were mostly distributed amongst the two other Rainbow bars, but some used the opportunity to take an extended holiday with the bars closed Sunday.

Sarisin,

You're right - I apologise - I re-read your post and realised that I had been way too harsh. I actually enjoy the beer bars, but I am still very much a newbie as far as Thailand is concerned. The main attraction, for me, is being able to watch the passing parade while having a drink. Some of the girls can be pushy re ladydrinks, but I havent had too many problems.

My main objection to the gogo's and ANY nightclub-style venue is the ear-shattering sound system most of these venues insist on. I guess I'm just too old for nightlife, and will now quietly return to 'Arts and Culture' :neener:

Thanks for your explanation, art.

While I am not a fan of the beer bars, I can see your point re the loud music in the gogo bars. It is particularly bad when you get seated near the blasting speakers. Or, there are just no other seats available, and you must endure the eardrum pain.

Stick around, my friend. As far as I know there are no plans to hire gogo dancers for the museums. :)

Another thing I noticed was a split between Rainbow and other bars, with Rainbow bars now playing near-Thai disco music as opposed to, say, Angelwitch's old man rock. I must say, having heard all the middle of the road rock 'classics' many times already, I prefer Rainbow's approach. It aids jiggling. ::

Good bunch of observations in the original post. Crown Group rode prices way up on the back of the increasing raunch on stage (newbies have a hard time believing stories about the double dildos when they see pitiful shows with girls eating bikini bottoms). Without that, the B110 beers and B600 barfines are too far out of line. I'm surprised they haven't moved more aggressively to shake things up.

They could learn from Bottoms Up, which reversed a bad remodeling job in record time a couple of years ago, did the B300 and 350 barfines to try to jumpstart business in the darkest days last summer, and gets nudity back the fastest. The management seems to be on top of things.

Soi Cowboy definitely has the most momentum now. Friends who had almost written it off have a hard time believing it when I tell them.

Thanks for comments on beer bars. I'm no great fan of them, either.

Archived