Weird Situation...HELP!!!!!!!!!

the INS doesn't really recognize a foreign marrage
The US Government, including the INS most surely do recognize a foreign marriage. In the case of Thailand any marriage registered under Thai law is a legal marriage in the USA. You might have had experience with the informal Thai marriage where it is not recorded at a District Office and no marriage paper issued. This is considered married by the parties involved and their families but not by the Thai Government or US Government. But once you sign on the dotted line at a District Office, or at a ceremony with the officer present and doing the paperwork there, it is a legal marriage for both Thailand and the USA.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having considered and reconsidered this situation, I feel it is hopeless.

He went back to the US after he married her and did not contact her for 6 months. She found out he was married and thought he duped her so she filed papers in Thailand to have the marriage annulled and bring charges against him.

no contact for 6 months ? to his 'NEW' wife.

YES, he duped her big ! :cussing:

She's already filed papers for annulment and charges. If so, he is ALREADY in deep kaka.

Why would she even consider going to him ? or is she that desparate to get to the US ? :doah:

Ajarnski, if this lady is your friend tell her to move on. There are other ways to get to the US.....or to find a real husband.

I agree fully. He didn't contact the lady for 6 months! That's mental cruelty. Why does she think things would be better if and when she did get to the US? This guy is a loser. Tell her she's probably only seen the tip of the iceburg in her treatment if she goes back to him. She can do better! Get out of this marriage as fast as possible!

Thanks for all ur replies. As all of u may know, when it comes to matter of the heart it's never easy.

I told her be4 to leave him and find a new guy but he was her 1st so she's really into him. The sad thing is I know many guys who would love to hook up with her (she's a model) but she's not ready to move on yet. Oh well.......All I can do is sit back and watch I guess.

You may be right regards the requirements of the US Embassy as I was using the experiences of Farang Brits in my post.

The scenario with the Brit Embassy is

Register an intent to marry.

Swear an affadavit.

Register the marriage.

What should be done? The man in question should suffer the consequences for his duplicity. The woman should receive a large cash apology from him and invest it in a clue.

Sounds to me like that marriade even if registred should be anulled, dont matter if hes divorced now or not, it matters whats his state was when tehy got married, a dovorce for her should not be that complicated, or else if he dissaproves of a divorce all she has to do is to wait 1 year after applied for a divorce to make this go trough. but also be careful about this cause in thailand they tend to see very hard on matter like this....

they are legally married in Thailand but under false pretences. how does US laws think of marriage in thailand? in sweden the authorities dont accept a thai marriage and not see you as husband and wife and people has to marry here to to make it legal.......

not sure about this situation but she should be able to get a divorce real fast if she can prove to the court that he was married in US same time as he married her...

cheers

"in sweden the authorities dont accept a thai marriage and not see you as husband and wife and people has to marry here to to make it legal......."

Are you sure about that Akarr? It sounds pretty weird to me that a country should not accept a marriage which is legal in another one. It goes against all common sense.

There might be some confusion on this issue because the marriage documents have to be transelated and approved for embassy use?

Cheers!

They dont accept a thai marriage as legal, they need to get married in sweden or another country with rules that apply. dont ask me why it is like that, maybe i am totally wrong . but the swedish embassy also dont allow marriages between a swedish citizen and a thai in the embassy in Bangkok. that i am sure of and that you can read in their homepage where they explain how to do if you want to get married while you are in thailand, and also a line about they not arrange any marriage between thai nationals and swedish citizens....

for the other part that a thai marriage is not legal in sweden well i have not looked it up but i know that at the migrations they dont accept that kind of marriage if applying for relatives visa.

"They dont accept a thai marriage as legal, they need to get married in sweden or another country with rules that apply. dont ask me why it is like that, maybe i am totally wrong . but the swedish embassy also dont allow marriages between a swedish citizen and a thai in the embassy in Bangkok. that i am sure of and that you can read in their homepage where they explain how to do if you want to get married while you are in thailand, and also a line about they not arrange any marriage between thai nationals and swedish citizens...."

Yep, the marriage between Thai/Swedish at the embassy is like what I found out at the Nor. Embassy. You can marry anyone but Thais at the Embassy there.

But if they have info on how to marry while you are in Thailand, that means you are wrong about Sweden not accepting marriages done in Thailand?

If you were right, a Swedish citizen could actually marry in Thailand and in Sweden with a different girl without getting into problems with the Swedish authorities!

Cheers!

Archived