"Touch" and "Grab"

gawguy

Says markle:

áµà (tae) , áµÃµéç (taetong), as in don't touch or just touched -usually with hands

ÊÑüÑÊ (sampat) more like touch/feel

My understanding is that JAP(l) is used for both 'touch' and 'grab'. Also, 'arrest'.

'Don't touch' is HAHM(f) JAP(l).

I am not familiar with taetong and sampat (I don't read Thai), except for I know that SAM®-PHAT(h) means 'to interview'.

"My understanding is that JAP(l) is used for both 'touch' and 'grab'. Also, 'arrest'."

Correct it means touching by closing a fist or cupping the hands and usually applying pressure it could also mean 'hold' in some instances.

"'Don't touch' is HAHM(f) JAP(l)." true, but not in all circumstances.

'taetong' is more touching with a flat hand or fingertips normally with little or no pressure.

'sampat' is holding or touching to feel the texture of something.

"(I don't read Thai)" no time like the present.

"I know that means SAM®-PHAT(h) 'to interview'. "

true for SAM®-PHAT(h) (interview) is pronounced like 'part' while SAM(?)-PAT(?) is like 'putt'

I'm still a bit confused. Can we try some examples?

Let's say I'm walking and a ladyboy grabs my arm. In the past I have said "Ya jap!" with the intention of meaning "Don't touch me!"

Then...let's say I am sitting with a girl I am getting to know and ask, "Can I touch you?"

Or...after I get to know her better, I say, "I like it when you touch me."

Sorry if the examples are corny!

Thanks,

GG

Let's say I'm walking and a ladyboy grabs my arm. In the past I have said "Ya jap!" with the intention of meaning "Don't touch me!"

> you could also say in English "Don't grab me"

I am sitting with a girl I am getting to know and ask, "Can I touch you?"

> 'jap' would work there because your appling some pressure and cupping your hand :hubba:

"I like it when you touch me."

>again 'jap'

The confusion arises from the fact that there are often more than one Thai word to translate one English word that is used in different circumstances and vice versa. Especially when we don't see the differences.

Says gawguy:

here you could also say pai long narok (go to hell)! (s)he will then for sure get the message

by the way i would also use jap in all 3 examples

Archived