Business Class: Singapore Air or Cathay Pacific?

Searcher

All,

For the flights that I am looking at (from west coast USA) neither price, departure time, arrival time, etc., are discriminators. What it gets down to is which airline will provide me with the most pleasant flight. Yeah, I know, "pleasant flight" is an oxymoron.

Real life or death choice here. :grinyes: Biz class SQ or CX? :dunno:

All I know for sure is no more UAL, :onfire: no more NWA :onfire: They pissed on me when they had the chance.......Now it's my turn. I'm not going away mad, I'm just gone.

Searcher

What hurts, is not that you lied to me, but that I can no longer trust you

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a tough one as I consider both to have great biz products in the terms of seats, entertainment and food. I will have to give the nod to SQ because I love the SQ girls.

I enjoy the CX flight schedule because you don't have to connect through SIN which adds a few more hours in traveling time.

Both give you miles to a US carrier. CX=AA miles and SQ=UA miles.

I've done both, and my personal preference is CX. I have found the SQ service a bit sterile, while CX's stews are more gracious. But this is nitpicking. I prefer CX's new J seat over SQ's Old J seat, which I prefer over CX's old J seat. I have not been in SQ's new "Space Pram" J seat, which is currenlty only available from the US via Vegas.

What really pushes it over the top for me are the lounge services in HKG for CX ... absolutely the best in the world. Really makes the layover pleasant. Oh yeah, and I greatly prefer AAdvantage (CX with OW alliance) over UA's Mileage Plus (SQ with Star Alliance).

Hard to go wrong with either. BTW, there are numerous discussions on this on www.flyertalk.com.

Enjoy

Hi,

SQ would be my preferred choice. The inflight service is of equally high standard on both but I hate CX' ground service, which can be quite arrogant and inflexible.

I agree on the HK lounge issue, though.

I once spent $7000 on a first class RT between Vancouver and BKK via CX, only to have it spoiled by the snoring man syndrome. Actually this pretty much happens every time I'm in plush accomodations in the air. Sort of a let-down.

Anyway, the CX lounge in HK really is second-to-none. And I've never had anything but good service on the ground. (I also like the CX schedule from Vancouver; not sure about LA.)

I agree on CX, the showers in hk are a great treat after all the flying time, and the short hop to bkk ( arrive befor noon) really helps ( me anyway) get on thai time.

Only tough thing ( for me agin) is the good food in buss class, too much/too good to resist.

I've been useing my AA ff miles for Cx for several flights, and always exellent.

Use my Nw ff miles a few times ( buss class) just average, ( first class grim) and the appx 6 hrs from nrt/bkk is a killer. just too long to stay awake ( or be near sleep by the time of arrival) getting in at after 11 pm is the pitts too.

All--

Looks like I am the lone vote of dissention.. I vote that SQ is the better of the two.. Keeping in mind that the difference between the two is mimimal at best.. Both are consistently excellent products and will always (and routinely) beat out the likes of NW/UA/AA.. I vote for SQ for three main reasons:

1) SQ's service while perhaps "sterile" is always uniform.. I always know what I am going to get.. Service is consistent along all lines..

2) Passenger first mentality. SQ usually puts the passenger first.. They (usually) do what I would want done as the passenger..

3) Performance in non-traditional situations/circumstances. SQ has always done "right" by me when something usual comes up... Need to make a last minute flight switch.. Need to get something out of my suitcase during an intermediate stopover... Have a flight cancellation? They re-book rather easily and will endorse over if asked...

Again, the difference between the two is narrow at best.. For me, lounges are not an issue as I prefer to walk around the terminal and since I carry crew ID can access non-passenger areas and/or leave the controlled area for short periods of time... Have I flown CX recently? Yes.. Did I like them? Of course. I've had "less than perfect" experiences on both carriers, but, in the end, I will have to give the nod to SQ.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

--UPSer

Says UPSer:

All--

Looks like I am the lone vote of dissention.. I vote that SQ is the better of the two.. Keeping in mind that the difference between the two is mimimal at best..

Sorry buddy you are the second vote for SQ. I said I give the nod to SQ because of the SQ girls! :grinyes:

Hi - For me I prefer CX service to SQ even though I have a SQ PPS gold card. New seat on CX is great and they have a handy little table that folds down from the seat in front, great for putting laptop on if you want to get out of your seat. Personally, I like CX more because I love their British magazine selection on a long haul flight and the ability to listen to live BBC radio (great when their is a soccer match while your flying on a 747). But heck these are really small things as others have said. I also prefer food on CX. Dont get me wrong I have nothing but admiration for SQ product and they treat me like a god with that PPS card - I think they dont understand the word no (except for ST in the toilet and an upgrade) to any request or change.

Final thing for me would be the routing. If you go SQ you might be transitting HKG en-route to SIN. Only thing is, you have another 8 hours until you get to BKK, whereas if you had gone on CX, you would be there in 3 - that would def make my decision CX.

Cheers

Archived