Buying apartment - A real squeeze

Paillote

I really need some good advice now. I have put my self in a real tight squeexe where it looks like I am going to loose a lot of money. Here goes:

Last week I signed a contract for buying an apartment, and payed up a deposit of 1.000.000B The final 700.000 should be payed on the day of transfer which is 28. March. In my contract it says "if the buyer for any reason should fail to perform the acts (..) so that ownership cannot be transfered for any reason whatsoever, seller can retain all sums paid"

According to Thai law you have to show proof that your funds are transfered from abroad and that should be no problem. I talked with my bank before I signed the contract and they told me no problem, come back after three days.

Three days later I show up at the bank and then I get the story that they can only make a certificate for transfers over 10.000 USD. My monthly transfers from my employer sure doesn't reach that amount, so here I am stuck with lots of receits showing I have transfered the money into Thailand, but the bank refuses to give me the official document I need. Time is ticking fast now, and I really don't know what to do. Is it possible for me to take with me 700.000B in cash to KL/Singapore and transfer them back to my account? This is all I got, so I will have to repeat the process a couple of times. Any good ideas?

Paillote

Says LaoHuLi:

Start by firmly, but politely rattling your way up the bank mangement chain.
:banghead:

Others may have more direct experience.
:dunno:

Thanks for the advice, but this document is made by some official goverment bank/office at the request from my bank. It is this entity that refuses to sign, and knowing buracracy (from any country) it sure would take more time than I got to fight it. I'll give it a try anyway. My broker didn't get through, but my impression is that Thais don't argue with authority.

Paillote

Hi -

One of my former clients can probably help you out. Contact Jerry from Property Portfolio Services using the e-mail address: ppshk@netvigator.com. See www.ppsproperty.com

Tell him that Steve from Indo-Siam Group referred you.

He runs a business, and he will charge you for providing you with a solution. I'm assuming that you can live with that, for a successful outcome.

Good luck.

"Let the good times roll!"

Stone Soup

Archived