NANA HOTEL?

I am leaning towards this hotel because of the location and the disco and that almost everyone in there is doing what I am doing. But two questions, how dingy is it? I HATE sleeping on a dirty bed as I twist and turn and end up with my face in the pillow drooling after a night of drinking. Second, I am a cheap bastard when it comes to a lot of things and want to make the most of my 9 or so days I have. So the money I skimp on hotel wise will be an extra ST. Know what I mean? Is this a good trade off or should I just get the better hotel and spend the extra money and hate myself for it?

Thanks for any and all replies.

MYKAL

LOS in September!!!!

Mykal,

On my last trip to BK I too vowed to save money and checked into the Nana. After 5 hours in the room I checked out and went to the Tai-Pan which is a hotel I have used before but is quite pricy by comparion at 2,000 baht for a deluxe room.

I have heard the Dynasty over the road from the Nana is better, still in a good position and reasonably priced.

I did walk over to the Dynasty to check out a room but was told they were all occupied so I can't comment on the quality but may be worth a look.

Mykal,

For me, the Nana is the most expensive hotel I stay in! At 1070 baht a night walk-in rate it's no bargain, but I often stay there for the reasons you mentioned. It certainly has atmosphere!

It is slightly dingy for sure, but I've had a lot worse. There can be grubby marks on the walls for example, and worn curtains or carpets. Generally, things are a bit frayed around the edges as it's been a while since most rooms had a makeover, but when I first stayed there I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was compared to the reports I'd read calling it a dump! It's not as bad as some people make it out to be.

One important thing is that the sheets are clean, I've never had dirty bed linen there, and of course towels and sheets are changed every day. Rooms vary of course, I once was given a grottier than average one and I asked to be moved, next day as soon as a room was available they did move me and the new one was much better.

I say go for it, for the first time in BKK it's ideal.

BTW I'll be in LOS in September also, if you're there the same time as me I'll be happy to have a beer with you.

Deejay.

I think the Nana Hotel is fine. It certainly isn't luxurious, but its location makes it a very good value. I've tried the Ruamchitt Plaza, Majestic Suites, and other better hotels, and have decided that the Nana is the best because of its location and reasonable rates. It is certainly the best place for a newbie to stay, and as a seasoned visitor I've decided it is best for me too.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Paul3456 ]

Thanks for the info guys. I will stay at the NANA. I want to be in front of the action! DJ1999J, absolutely. Ill buy the first round. I will be there August 29th thru September 9th. See you soon!

MYKAL

LOS in September!!!!

Back in May, I stayed one week at the Dynasty Inn and one week at Nana. I liked Nana better. The Dynasty rooms and hallways are dark-paneled wood, which made it feel a little closed in and dingy to me.

The Dynasty didn't feel as alive with activity as Nana either. The Dynasty lobby has a coffee shop/restaurant that was never very crowded. The Nana lobby is bright and airy and bustling with activity and has a restaurant that is quite busy for the breakfast and lunch buffets.

Also, Nana has the disco which is crowded and fun, plus they have a pool. After reading about the Nana rooms being dumpy, I was actually pleasantly surprised. I know other posts have recommended the higher floors, but they weren't available at the time, so I was on the second floor. It wasn't the Ritz, but it wasn't bad. I've stayed in worse places in American budget hotels.

Never had any hassles bringing guests to either place. Both have safe deposit boxes behind the front desk.

Mykal,

I'll be arriving September 4th, and staying at the Nana Hotel for a few days, so it looks like our paths might cross. I'll sort something out nearer the time, or email me -

dj1999j@hotmail.com

See you in LOS!

Nana v Dynasty

Nana although I hate the 'fuck you' attitude of the staff. I love the big windows though and lots of natural light.

Why not try farther afield. Premier Inn Soi 20, handy for Cowboy bigger rooms than Nana if you get one at the front with windows and B800 per night.

I'm in Dynasty now on the second stage of my sanuk in BKK, originally I was in Nana as I usually stay there but there does seem to be a deterioration and this was compounded by the cockroaches which seemed to like joining in the sanuk on the bed,(another reason to keep the lights on !!) Dynasty is fine and I've no complaints so far.

JP

Archived