Time to take antibiotic or not?

stumpy

Hi, not sure if I have just a cold or whether I would be assisted by antibiotic now. Feel generally unwell for 4 days, chesty cough, sore throat, lots of mucous. No fever to speak of.

Am travelling to the hallowed ground next week and want to be right. I have amoxicillin at home, would there be any benefit in taking them or have I just got common cold and should I let nature take it's course?

If I were to take them what dose what I take?

I am aware that antibiotics will do nothing for viral cold but I don't know what likelihood that I have is a viral or bacterial infection.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

SD.

Presume you are in western country ? :dunno:

No fever, no constant diarrhea or vomiting ? Leave the anti-biotics alone. :cussing: Head for your local drugstore and do a routine of flu/cold tablets.....Dristan, Benedryl, or whatever the pharmacist recommends.

Save the antibiotics for when you REALLY need them....that way they will have abetter chance of really working.

Hi, went to see doctor yesterday and he prescribe amoxicillin 250mg 3 x per day. I was a little surprised by this as I had tried to avoid antibiotic use as I believe there is too much use of antibiotics and asked him about this but said he believes they will help.

Make of that what you will...

Did he do any blood or culture work ?

If not he's just another pill pusher. Amoxicillin is a powerful general antibiotic usually reserved for gastric infections. Hell that shit will get you through an appendicitus rupture.

How many days treatment. Has got to be 7-10 to be effective...but I am still of the opinion that it will do nothing for you unless there has been lab work to back up the necessity.

Well that's what I make of it........

Archived