Trusting REAL Thais.Possible?

crofty68

Let me say that i have no intention of slagging anybody off, Thai or otherwise..

From some things I've read in regard to ownership of property, where say a Thai

would be needed to help with ownership of LAND, some have theorised that

finding a Thai that they could trust, for this to go ahead, may be hard..

I am not innocent or naive.. I know that for some farangs they hang around

with Thai people who are not representative of Real Thai people..

Such as many in the nightlife scene...

Still the question remains....Do you know some Thai people, that you

could trust in this situation..

Again not a troll or anything.. There are many people that i know here in Oz

that if push came to shove, i could never count on them.. But i have a good

legal framework to fall back on..

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure there are many 'REAL' Thai business people that maintain a strong sense of ethics. But one thing you can take as a certainty is that they'll always look after their own interests first. Not sure this differs much from the Western business person.

The issue is whether their agenda is the same as yours. I've found that, there are hidden agendas close to the Thai psyche that would be alien to your own (probably). Your post suggests that you're looking for a Thai to act as co-investor in a property-based business interest. One thing you may wish to watch out for is the Thai interest in empire building. I've seen Thai businesses grow to immense size (measured in numbers of employees) without regard to the revenue earning needed to sustain profitability. Their seems to be a need to emphasize status through employees reporting to them. Most Western business people, I think would prefer to grow a business slowly and allow for slow growth and profit.

The Thais think of it as 'status' but I tend to think it's ego.

But I think the real question you're posting is, would a Thai person be more likely to take advantage of you because you are a farang. And this would probably be determined by whether they saw their interests in working with you were long term vs. short term. And whether these interests continued to look good long term throughout the course of the relationship.

I will qualify this post by reminding you that what I said certainly does not apply to all.

Do you know some Thai people, that you

could trust in this situation

I sure have...hmm...at least 10 Thai friends who I could definitely trust for this.

I don't think it has anything to do with Thais rather with oneself.

There are as many Thais as farangs who would scam you in this situation.

It's really up to you to pick the 'good' ones.

If you don't have that ability to detect friends among 'enemies' or are doubting and take the risk, it's really only yourself to blame, not anybody else.

I'd say if you don't have a Thai friend whom you completely trust than forget about it, you have definitely something to lose in this case.

In Thailand the possibilty of getting ripped off is a far better threat from your expat friend than a Thai.....but then again i find neither trustworthy in the Land Of Scams

I always question Thai's loyalty or lack of would be more appropriate. At the end of the day their loyalty to a farang is not going to be on the top of their list of priorities.

Always take a look at the downside. What is your tolerance for risk, how much can you handle losing if things go wrong?

Only people I trust absolutely are a handful of farang friends that I have known for 20 years or more and Mom.

Says bahnawk:

I always question Thai's loyalty or lack of would be more appropriate. At the end of the day their loyalty to a farang is not going to be on the top of their list of priorities.

Only people I trust absolutely are a handful of farang friends that I have known for 20 years or more and Mom.

Spot on Mister,

I, like some of the posters here think that the majority of the Thais, by no means all ain't trustworthy. Far too many of them have zero loyalty to whom they consider as being "a temporary alien" in their country. Even my missus confirmed this when I asked her why is it that everywhere I go Thais (again not all) tend to try to rip me off...

The people I trust are a handful of foreignners I have known for ages, and some Thais, but they're definitely in the minority.

To the original poster, if you ain't sure you're trusting your business partner 100%, in other words you still have that 0.01 percent of doubt in your head about him, then DON'T do it; better safe than sorry. Most guys who I know and have set up successful businesses have done so using the names of their wives and children.

Says Lamock Chokaprret:

I'm sure there are many 'REAL' Thai business people that maintain a strong sense of ethics. But one thing you can take as a certainty is that they'll always look after their own interests first. Not sure this differs much from the Western business person.

The issue is whether their agenda is the same as yours. I've found that, there are hidden agendas close to the Thai psyche that would be alien to your own (probably). Your post suggests that you're looking for a Thai to act as co-investor in a property-based business interest. One thing you may wish to watch out for is the Thai interest in empire building. I've seen Thai businesses grow to immense size (measured in numbers of employees) without regard to the revenue earning needed to sustain profitability. Their seems to be a need to emphasize status through employees reporting to them. Most Western business people, I think would prefer to grow a business slowly and allow for slow growth and profit.

The Thais think of it as 'status' but I tend to think it's ego.

But I think the real question you're posting is, would a Thai person be more likely to take advantage of you because you are a farang. And this would probably be determined by whether they saw their interests in working with you were long term vs. short term. And whether these interests continued to look good long term throughout the course of the relationship.

I will qualify this post by reminding you that what I said certainly does not apply to all.

Spot on, excellent post!

"This is an important question for anyone who wants to do business or in some way make a stake in LOS.

This applies to buying (not just leasing) land.

Has anyone ever used a "disinterested 3rd party" (in as far as such a thing exists in LOS), like a reputable lawyer (funny to see those two words in the same sentence ie., reputable and lawyer) still it may be better then a thai spouse or thai friend who may turn on you later.

Curious about this... someone must have done this before"

My take on this is that you need a lawyer (or other similar 3rd parties) for different things than the example mentioned about land. You use a lawyer for legal advice/assitance. You wouldn't trust signing over your house to a lawyer, would you? And certainly not in Thailand..

If you are afraid that a spouse will turn on you, you shouldn't stay in the marriage at all. After all a marriage has more worth than a piece of land?

If you need to put a Thais name on a paper with value and you don't have people you can trust 100% - don't do it.

Cheers!

Archived