Trusting REAL Thais.Possible?

crofty68

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] Personally, there are a few Thais who I do trust with my money - I have to as I do business with them; but by and large they tend to be Thais with western education and global business exposure who understand the importance of contracts and explicit as opposed to unsaid conditions. I am also friends with some American-Thais who find local Thais just as unfathomable as I do. I have also encountered a many "traditional" Thai and Western businesspeople who I wouldn't trust with 10 baht. Usually, though, the reason I distrust the Thais is because I fundamentally don't understand them, so I err on the side of caution. [/color]

I do agree with you on trust and money. The Thais thinking about money is not like it used to be when I was growing up in Thailand. I also posted once stating that I do not trust 99% of the Thais I have met here when it comes to money concept. :(

Cheers! :: :devil:

• 2 months later...

.......Lots of severe cultural differences; IMHO it pays to be alert especially when money is concerned!

-------------------------------------

What an eloquent post. i missed it then. It has to be put near top of the "best of" contributions on this board.

I don't see it as a conflict, or a contradiction, but at the same time, most likely because as you say: thais can be oblivious to it, i do not find thais that greedy and schemy in general, and at the same time, I would not trust them with my money (though I have been pleasantly surprised sometimes). I just think that by putting Money into a farang/a thai equation one is taking a heavy chance of changing his/her behaviour or thinking towards you. Not so much that they change into a shark who smells blood, but simply because "money is good", and they do indeed most likely need some. IMHO

Archived