Nurse training?

thai3

I was trying to date a nurse once. A hookup of a friends Thai wife. She went to school in BKK. Don't know where. She works 12 hour days 6 days a week sometimes 7 only for 6500 baht a month. But her room and board was paid for by the hospital she worked at. It was a small apartment which she shared with 2 other nurses. Atleast this is what she told me. But she still managed to scam me for a few hundred U.S. dollars.

ZMAN Z28

Hi,

Depends whether it is for a BS in nursing or just a nurse proctitioner. For a BS, ones must finish HS and pass the entrance exam. Another schools of nursing are for the ones that finish the 10th grade, will receive a diploma equal to associate degree after 2 yrs. All of these schools require passing the entrance exams. :D

Cheers!

jasmine,

I don't think you are well-versed in the universal terminology of nursing. A BS means the person has graduated from an university in some type of science whether nursing or another scientific field. A nurse practitioner is a profession clearly one step above a RN. It usually requires a master's degree (can be one or more years of education and field experience) and he or she, a RNP, can see patients without having a doctor sign off on everything. I believe she can prescribe some drugs as well.

You might be accurate about nursing in Thailand but whatever it is, i believe the standards and the amount of education required in nursing at different levels are clearly not the same one finds in america. I believe nursing in thailand has less responsibilty and authority compared to their counterparts in america. This has been my experience working with nurses in both america and here in thailand........

Cardinalblue

Hi,

Opps you are right, I meant the "Nursing assistant", not the practitioner. I also meant Thailand not the USA.

I don't believe that I am that far off on the education in Thailand though. On nursing, they still require the 10th grade to apply to take the entrance exams in community colleges, Air Force or the Army nursing schools.

There are also those Universities and colleges that ones can enter after the 12th grade (whatever mor it is now - I see no reason for the Thai education to change the names of the classes - but that is a nother story). I have 2 friends who went that route and earned BS from their studies (in Thailand, mind you).

I understand that there is a special project that will take some children up-country (with 10th grade education) and train them in some nursing or health occupations with the promise that they will go back to their villages. Next time when I talk to my brother I will find out. ::

Cheers!

Hi,

[color:"red"] So an issan girl leaving school at 15 could not get straight into a nursing school without passing some more exams first? How long do nurses train for in LOS?-peter

[/color]

It isn't the age, it is what grade she had finished!

The sad part of the Thai education is ones cannot just go straight to just about nothing. Ones have to take an exam just to leave from one school at 9 th grade to go to 10th, 11th and 12th in another school and this darn exam is at the same time all over the country. :banghead:

My niece wants to take an exam to go to my old High School in BKK but if she does not pass, she cannot just come home and go the local one which she was allowed without a test (because of quata in the province). The timing is bad that she has not even a chance to do the entrance exam because if she does not show up to give her commitment at the province school (at the same day as the exam in BKK), her name will be removed. So having 3.4 average (up-country grade), she did not dare to try the exam to my old HS.

This system has not changed for the past 35 years. :banghead: I took a risk taking the exam to my HS. If I did not pass it I would have to go to a private shcool or a teacher college or went nowhere. There was no such place as "rachapat" then.

Things must change to give more opportunities.

Jasmine

I think what might be confusing here is that in LOS it seems that nursing assistants call themselves nurses where as in america, a nursing assistant would not ever refer to oneself as a nurse. Clearly, a huge difference between the two in america due to the educational and training commitment.

I am not sure how actual nurses in LOS view nursing assistants whether it is the next step in becoming a real nurse? Is it just a gradiation? In america, most nursing assistants do not become nurses and remain as nursing assistants as their chosen profession. Formal educational requirement is the difference. Most nurses never worked as a nursing assistant.

This could be a semantics issue here in LOS or nursing assistant position clearly operates differently in relationship to a nurse position and might be seen as a logical step in becoming a nurse.

Cardinalblue

Archived