High end audio gear

orion76

I'd be interested in following what you find over there. As for myself it would be 10+ years, if ever, before I relocated to LOS. (I'm also considering Mexico for retirement.) I think I would be afraid my sound investments would get "lost" or damaged en route & would downsize beforehand.

I wonder if any gear shows up at flea markets or other second hand venues that might be equivalent to old Dynaco stuff, etc....

• 4 weeks later...

The larger more organized shops, e.g.: KS SONS the McIntosh dealer, are rather expensive compared to the USA but there are some smaller dealers in Ploenchit Center who you can bargain down way below US MSRP. Their import cost may be high but their overhead is very cheap so some smaller dealers stay in business by only taking a small margin.

I picked up an Audionet MAP with Amphion Xenon speakers and was quite pleased with the price I got, far cheaper than back home.

Also for bargains look in Fortune City on Ratchada, 3rd floor, there are a few shops there selling used equipment.

Says Escape Rabbit:

Is it safe to assume I won't pay much more for a good system in Thailand than I would in the US?

Very unsafe! Electronics of any sort is pricey in LOS, particularly high end equipment. The storyline I see over and over is only last years technology is availbale and it sells at a higher price than the latest technology found in the US.

If you want to go high end, there is a McIntosh dealer inside world trade.

Archived