High end audio gear

orion76

Amarin Plaza ( direct entry to the 2nd floor via a pedestrian bridge from the Chit Lom BTS station) has several dealers on the 3rd (American) floor at the N. end of the building. In fact probably more high end gear in such close proximity than you'd expect to see here or in most places in the world.

Coincidentally I was in one of the shops earlier this evening and there was a guy sitting in the showroom at a table eating. He ignored me so I figured he worked there. I saw what I thought was a Clear Audio TT and asked him if that was what it was. He stopped eating long enough to mumble that it was. I asked him what model it was. He didn't seem to know and then I got another mumbled response this time in Thai. I think he said, "Don't bother me I'm eating." So, I left. Don't go during meal hours I guess is the lesson here. This is the shop in the far R. hand corner of the 3rd floor as you're facing N. They carry the only LPs (mostly "audiophile" reissues) I've thus far seen in Bangkok & CDs. Lots of very tasty stuff here as well as in the other shops nearby.

There's a Linn dealer at Siam Discovery (he also had a pair of Totem's & an Ayre integrated amp A-7 ??) but he didn't seem to have much stock in house. Just across from him is the Burmester dealer with a nifty 140,000 baht preamp. And, at the top of their corridor is a larger shop with a mix of stuff including Mission speakers and Dynaco electronics.

-redwood

• 2 weeks later...

Since TH has different current, how does this affect these products if brought back to the US? I assume at the high end all these pieces are the same worldwide, so do the transformers built in handle any kind of juice,? Also at this level is there any advantage to buying certain equipment or accessories there & bringing it home? I'm sorta looking at SACD/DVD players now. Or is it just an excuse to window shop in the air con? ::

I have a Nakamichi tape deck with a voltage switch and my Linn LP12 has the Valhalla power supply for either 110 or 220 but I assume most tt's don't have adaptable voltage/current capability. Amps & pre-amps are normally either 110 or 220 and one would have to use a transformer from the mains. I also obtained a 110 transformer from NAD for an FM tuner I brought back to the US from Saudi and installed it myself. It was only a few US$ but transformers used in amps can be very expensive, so a swap wouldn't be financially feasible even if technically possible.

If the equipment does not clearly state on it that it is 120 VAC 60 HZ compatible (or labelled something similar to: "50/60 HZ 120/240 VAC" or have a clearly visible switch near the power cord for selecting voltage, then one should assume it will not work in the US without internal changes, or a step up

transformer to convert US 120VAC to 220/240VAC. DVD players need to clearly state that they are multi-region compatible or even if they will run on 120VAC 60 HZ they might not play the US/Canada area DVDs.

There might also be warranty and/or repair concerns that could be a factor in making such a purchase in Asia.

I hope these thoughts are of some help. If you do investigate you might post your findings.

-redwood

I'm sort of a stereo nut myself, and may buy a condo in Thailand sometime in the next two years. I've seen the shops in Ploncheit Center, but didn't bother to price the stuff. Is it safe to assume I won't pay much more for a good system in Thailand than I would in the US?

Rex :dunno:

Is it safe to assume I won't pay much more for a good system in Thailand than I would in the US?

Very unsafe! Electronics of any sort is pricey in LOS, particularly high end equipment. The storyline I see over and over is only last years technology is availbale and it sells at a higher price than the latest technology found in the US.

If you want to go high end, there is a McIntosh dealer inside world trade.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll bring some used stuff with me, or else stick with the not so hi end stuff. A good Yamaha or Harmon Kardon AV receiver would probably work just fine for a condo.

As for McIntosh stuff? For some reason, I can't get excited about it any more. My father has an expensive McIntosh setup, but half the time it doesn't work right and when it does, it doesn't sound all that good anyway, at least in terms of what it cost.

Rex ::

Archived