New Business Venture (opening a bar!) ADVICE PLEASE

Ben,

I've been running businesses for years now, the only hurdle I can see is this: How easy is your concept to copy? It it's such a great idea, everyone will try it, especially if it makes money. (Assuming it's true you have this brilliant concept which simply can't fail... this is NOT sarcasm, you know more about this venture than I) - Copyrights and Patents may not apply in LOS, if they do, I can't imagine them being easy or cheap to enforce, especially in the bar scene.

Says Ben Taylor:

Finally, if there are any optimistic entrepreneurs out there who may just have enough faith in listeningto my idea and be willing to back me to some extent, pls provide contact info.......

its early days but I've every confidence in my project, hence no timewasters.

Not timewasting.. if this concept is a winner, and you can answer my question above... how much do you need? What do you need me to do??

In any case, good luck, it'll be an adventure, I guarantee you that.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, very funny...

what do you expect? you say nothing about your "business idea" and you want people here to give you advice and even invest.

blablabla...

basically, if you are not a conman (which i do strongly suspect, have heard that sort of sales pinch more times than i could care...), than basically my only advice is:

if you need to ask the questions you ask here to complete strangers, than you should forget about your business and do it somewhere else.

how do you become a millionair in thailand?

you arrive with a billion.

Hi -

Regarding Gulliver's, I understand that the cost of the operation, as of start-up, was 83 million baht. It seems to me that regardless of how successful it is, it will take quite a while to repay that investment.

The scope of this place is hard for me to get my arms around. They have some rather unique "one off" expense items - like a main bar shaped like a guitar, a 50's something Chevy rotating on a pillar, and (for some peculiar reason) a giant Frankenstein statue guarding one corner. Plus a serious fountain out on the patio. Take a close look at their free internet stations (a total of three) - all use flat panel displays. They were certainly not cutting corners.

Their staff headcount is pretty enormous. At odd times there are more staff than customers.

At this sort of level, though, there may be other strategies at work. Hypothetical example - before they put this place up, they quietly buy up a lot of neighboring properties. Then erect Gullivers. The value of surrounding properties rises - and they perhaps sell their portion of these properties at a significant profit.

With Gullvers as an "anchor" attraction, I predict that several more upscale places will gravitate to nearby real estate by year-end - creating another entertainment ghetto right there, at the entrance to "little Arabia."

Myself - I like the place. I held two business meetings there last evening. Its big enough that it effectively has about three different mini-environments under one roof.

"Let the good times roll!"

The Fighting Fish

Hi SS

Your numbers are very enlightening. Probably also very realistic to do a "new" concept.

I love the way all the newbies are going to do it for 10% of this and have an unique, totally 'best' concept. :dunno:

As long as someone else invests. :cussing::dunno:

What I love (OK appreciate) is that the This (OK Chinese-Thai) have NO problem with capital investment. Now ops are another thing. :(

But Cap is OK. Damn the mattresses are BIG. :grinyes:

So (IMO) [trying to be polite here] ALL you and sc22 have said is right on. Seems strange that afte 48 hrs, khun Ben has not replied, unless we are still too unintellegutual to understand his implied. but neer really alluded to 'unique' concept. { well if that don't raise a response? what will ??}

OK, LHL is pissy again :onfire: :banghead:

But BS as a post is BS as a post. :grinyes:

but thanks to you andSS22 and FLOW for keeping all of us (me in parculirar) on the reality path. :bow::applause::bow:

I feel much the same way; I personally like it but I'm not sure I get what it's supposed to be, and therefore what its future is. The owners also built Gullivers down on KSR and Route 66 at RCA, both of which are immensely seuccessful. I think some of the decor might have been Route 66 inspireds, a sort of 50s/60s Americana. They're also apparently putting in a dancing area/lounge type place on the upstairs.

The idea actually was NOT to be "high-end"; the idea was to try and introduce some quality into the mid-market. I don't think their prices are far different form the neighborhood beer bars (though I don't know this for a fact); they're hoping to draw those crowds, e.g. tourists, freelancers. But also keep it legit enough so that "normal" (how I hate that word, but you know what I mean) couples can come there; sort of like a Sports-bar/TGIF's meets Q-Bar type theme. It's not entirely coherent to me, but there are some interesting elements in there. I'm curious to see how they proceed.

Cheers,

Scuba

>how do you become a millionair in thailand?

you arrive with a billion.

Was it not with an airline business?

Start as a billionaire and buy an airline?

I guess....you are right. Iwould have never attempted anyting like bar business in Thai.

To the original poster: We can talk here about love hurts, ST, LT, freelancers...

Go and get some business professionals for an advice. Some very good and competent people are around ...just contact them. This board knows about them, just check the banners.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived