Is anyone taking the travel advisories seriously ?

gobbledonk

Since this thread is getting more attention than threads usually do in regional allow me to remind everyone of the notice posted in General about the war. I am posting this just as a reminder and not because anyone has stepped out of line, and as I said earlier I am only doing so because this threadis more active than threads usually are in the Regional Forum. While the notice only mentions Thailand please substitute "X" country and let that govern your behaviour here.

ag

Says KS:

Hi,

Recognizing the imminent [sic] escalation of hostilities in Iraq will grab the attention of many of us on the board the moderators would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that politics have been and remain a restricted area on this board. This has been and is the policy of the board for the simple fact that these discussions can and do quickly ignite into flame wars and eventually overshadow the broader purpose of the board which is Sanuk.

Military conflicts can and will disrupt civil activities. In respect of this and out of concern for the well being of everybody in the Nanaplaza community we do not wish to restrict the exchange of information that relates directly to travel safety to and from LOS or information about any type social disruption that may relate directly to Thailand. However we remind everyone that the exchange of timely information should not be looked upon as an opportunity to drift away from being informative.

Sanuk!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adikgede,

With all due respect, I believe you are over-reacting. If you re-read the posts to date, the only member who has alluded to the 'Middle-East' was one of your fellow mods, Coss. When I started the thread, it definitely wasnt my intention to provoke any discussion about the war, or even Islamic extremism : travel advisories are a fact of life for us all, and I wanted to know if anyone was even reading them before booking their trip to Asia.

I respect your opinion, but as I said I posted the notice because of the level of interest in the thread, while by your account has nothing to do with the war in Iraq or Islamic extremism, I suspect for many it has everything to do with these issues. Just treat the notice like an embassy travel warning. If it doesn't effect you ignore it.

ag

• 2 weeks later...

I don't feel it's ANY governments place to mandate stupidity.

Of course it's safer to wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

Of course smoking can cause cancer.

Of course terrorism and war make the world more dangerous to travel through.

What you do, how you do it, where and when should be, well....

UP TO YOU!!!!!!!!

To bad it isn't. I believe I am happierand safer living in thailand than I would be in the states [last residence: Harlem, NYC]

Says culturecypher:

I don't feel it's ANY governments place to mandate stupidity.

Of course it's safer to wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

Of course smoking can cause cancer.

Of course terrorism and war make the world more dangerous to travel through.

What you do, how you do it, where and when should be, well....

UP TO YOU!!!!!!!!

To bad it isn't. I believe I am happierand safer living in thailand than I would be in the states [last residence: Harlem, NYC]

When my health care costs, health insurance fees and auto insurance rates rise because of the unsafe actions CHOSEN by others, then I feel it IS my business. Maybe let smokers smoke, in private, but opt out of subsidized health care. Don't wear a helmet? Don't expect a big insurance payout. I actually don't care how much people inhale those stinking cigarettes.

Just don't exhale near me.

Says check_bin_krap:

I think those advices is a good thing to read, but not necessarily follow. But if you have several choices for a holiday, they might make your choice easier.

If I go on work, i would go as long as flights do. Angola is probably the worst place I have been to.

Cheers!

Thats what i am finding in my office we are re routing clients to direct flights or change thier holiday destinations completly.

Re travel notices we have to , by law inform all travellers of these then up to them we are covered by telling them.

And many are changing..not the war the SARS is a nightmare for us in the industry and the travelling public.

Trying to get seats on some airlines is just about immpossible,as some have cut flights as well.

Oh well we all hope a quick end to SARS and get back to normal asap.

take care

Archived