Is anyone taking the travel advisories seriously ?

gobbledonk

I get the impression that most board members feel that 'nothing is going to stand between me and my plans to go to Asia !'. Admirable, but I wonder if we are being a little too devil-may-care. The latest warning re Surabaya is the most specific that the Australian Foreign Affairs Department has been prepared to issue.

Take care out there guys.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says rookie:

I think most board members are not being cavalier, they are just being realistic....the chance of something happening is likely as minimal as staying at home....unless you live in Baghdad ;-)

I fully agree with your statement. :)

Wondering how many ressources western goverments uses on preparing these useless travel advisories. In most cases they would be better spend on fighting crime at home.

Screw the travel advisories. It's not a case of devil-may-care but rather "I can take care of myself"

Says rookie:

I think most board members are not being cavalier, they are just being realistic....the chance of something happening is likely as minimal as staying at home....unless you live in Baghdad ;-)

Yep agree. Well said.

Wondering how many ressources western goverments uses on preparing these useless travel advisories.

The resources spent on these advisories is minimal as the "inteligence" that they are based upon is an ongoing project that is used for other purposes as well.

The amount of money spent packaging this data and broadcasting it to diplomatic missions is also minimal compared to the cost of an government inquiry that would be launched if something bad happened and there had been no advance caution issued.

While there are plenty of savvy travelers who are eager to volunteer that they ignore these warnings as a matter of routine a wise person would acknowledge these alerts and then prioritise relative to other information they may have.

ag

Says adikgede:

While there are plenty of savvy travelers who are eager to volunteer that they ignore these warnings as a matter of routine a wise person would acknowledge these alerts and then prioritise relative to other information they may have.

Precisely, the thought of flying anywhere near the Middle East has me making a trip to LOS to calm my nerves with massage and late nights.

Cheers

:devil: :devil: :devil:

The amount of money spent packaging this data and broadcasting it to diplomatic missions is also minimal compared to the cost of an government inquiry that would be launched if something bad happened and there had been no advance caution issued.

So what is the point? Covering diplomatic ass and not to inform the traveler.

Reminds me of the manual that came along with my motorcycle. The wise words read something like "In case of icy road do not drive at excessive speed" I did acknowledge this alerts and then prioritised it relative to other information that I have, like common sense :rolleyes:

AG, I do not really disagree with you, just think that these advises are very poor and thus should be given very low priority.

My impression is, that many board members follow the developments in SE Asia very closely, therefore we are able to decide for our self where to go and how to behave in certain areas. And even we disapprove the official advice (remember the discussion after the Bali bombing) it makes us rethink our plans and reminds us to stay cautious.

For me the official advisories seem to address the less experienced traveler, who may do not know much about foreign affairs - you only need to read the result of polls in the US about the knowlegde of the people in geography and international politics. For those kind of people the advice could be helpful, even we sometimes think that some warnings are exaggerated.

In Germany this warnings of the foreign ministry also contain some legal and financial implications for those who have booked the complete trip through a travel agency: Higher levels of warning allow the tourists to change or cancel their bookings without being charged.

Archived